Chapter 5

Chapter 5

~ Rebekah's POV

It was a few hours later that I woke up finding myself still on Derek's chest who was softly snoring and Flynn laying on my lap as the TV played in the background.

A rush of memories purged through me as I remembered a similar scene a few years back when Derek and I were married. Lately, I feel as if I was constantly thinking back to old times.

Everything that happened felt like deja vu. Everything seemed repeated but better. I could feel myself slowly falling for Derek even for the smallest of things and it was scaring the shits out of me but making butterflies flutter in my stomach at the same time.

Glancing at the clock I nearly screamed when I saw the time flashing at me telling me I had approximately 20 mins to get ready before he would be at the door. This was bad.

Pulling off Derek's arm and laying Flynn's head on Derek's lap. I rushed upstairs opening my closet. Surveying the contents I flicked through some dresses but they all felt wrong for some reason.

Finally settling on a navy blue dress with sleeves coming mid arm and ending just below my knees, I grabbed a pair of black heels that weren't too tall. If this date was three days ago, I probably would have opted for a much more revealing dress and a pair of fancy heels but something was stopping me and I had a feeling it was due to a certain someone downstairs over the age of 4.

Checking my appearance in the mirror I noticed my hair and makeup wasn't done so opted for a minimilistic with a swipe of mascara and eye liner. Quickly using some lip balm and a light spray of perfume I felt ready,

Watching my step, I made it downstairs to find a waking Derek hugging Flynn to his lap whilst looking around confused. The second his eyes landed on me I could feel them travel over my figure making me bite my lip.

"Christian's coming to pick me up." Noticing Derek was about to protest I held my hand up to stop him from interrupting him. "I need you to stay home and take care of Flynn ." I knew it was the only card that would work on him and frankly I was sad it had to end like this. I really did wish he could accompany me to dinner but there was no way Flynn was staying home all by himself.

"When will you be back?"

I mentally calculated approximately how long it would take counting off on my fingers. "Around 9? Maybe 10."

I could see Derek having an internal conflict. Knowing him he was probably wondering whether or not he should let me go or stop me by refusing to take care of Flynn . As tempted as he was, he would never choose the latter which worked in my favour making him even more annoyed at the fact I had him cornered.

"Fine." I was relieved to hear him say that but I wasn't surprised when I realised he wasn't finished. "But I'm staying the night. So don't plan on bringing him home." With that he lifted Flynn up and carried him upstairs to his bedroom.

It was the front door bell that finally got me moving. As bad as it was to admit, I was actually glad Derek wanted to stay. Whether or not we were sharing the bed, no sex this time, or if he was taking the guest room, I was glad and excited.

A small part of me was tempted to not open the door but the rational part of me was already undoing the chain once I had recognised Christian through the peephole.

For some reason, I expected him to look different or maybe I'm already imagining how he will look after I give him the shocking news.

"Wow Rebekah, you look stunning baby girl." Even his pet names sounded odd coming from his mouth all of a sudden. I couldn't stop myself from comparing him to Derek who usually calls me sweet cheeks and other cheesy names...

"Thanks. So do you".

A clearing of a throat behind me made me jump in surprise as I found Derek standing a few feet away watching us. I noticed Christian's face fall into a scowl whilst Derek simply clenched his jaws. Did I forget to mention just because they tolerate each other doesn't mean they're the best of friends.

"Derek, what are you doing at my girlfriend's place?"

I could see Derek tempted to tell him about the night we spent but instead he simply replied how he was taking care of Flynn tonight.

I saw understanding cross Christian's face but I also saw a hint of annoyance which slightly shocked me. It's not like I had a choice unless he wants me to bring Flynn with us for dinner.

Grabbing Christian's wrist I turned smiling good bye to Derek before walking out the door. The last thing I saw before swinging the door shut was Derek's face fall making my heart clench.

Stupid feelings.

It was a nice restaurant I must admit and even though the food seemed nice, I just didn't seem to have an appetite. Everything was nice. Just ... not Derek.

Conversation was light with my questions about his conference. I could feel my heart beat pick up in anticipation and the need to avoid or at least stall time for the inevitable.

I was running out of topics we could talk of and I just knew he was bound to ask what I spent my time doing. He always did.

I was halfway through my second glass of wine when I began to choke. "So how was work whilst I was away? Did you have fun?"

Yes. But I didn't say that. In fact I didn't say much but sat there avoiding any eye contact. The shamek I had tried to bury for so long was being dug up and it was hitting me tenfold.

"Rebekah? Is everything alright?" Still no reply.

Really there was nothing that could be said but the truth. Being a cheater was bad enough. The last thing I needed was to be labelled a liar.

Finally I had the courage to meet Christian's questioning eyes making me want to close my eyes. They were beautiful in their own way. It was the most prominent feature of his face always piercing you and making you feel special.

I wanted to remember them holding that spark of joy that lit his face up. Not destroyed or broken after I deliver the ugly truth.

I opened my mouth but no words came out. Setting down the cutlery I held tightly, I picked up my napkin and began wringing my fingers so it was coiled up.

"I'm sorry."

Christian's brows, if they could any more, furrowed in confusion.

"I'm sorry... I cheated on you."

A/N ...

It's short but I secretly love cliffhangers :p Vote and comment pleasee! x

~ M