Chapter 20: It's All Up To Him

"Dr Reid," a voice called as someone shook Spencer awake. Opening his eyes, he found the same doctor who had pulled Emily outstanding in front of him.

"Sorry to wake you but Charlie has just finished surgery and will be up within the hour," she told him her face stoic as if she was about to give him some bad news. "however he's not completely out of the woods."

"What do you mean," Spencer whispered sitting up straighter in his chair as Darcy lay sleeping in the bed across from him.

"His bullet wound and other injuries we're more complicated than we expected

"What's going on," Darcy's tired voice asked, woken by the chatter beside her."

"Charlies out of surgery," Spencer told her as she tried to sit up wincing in pain.

"Really, that's great news," she smiles perking up.

"Not entirely," the doctor piped in. "I was just telling your husband here that Charlie suffered some major damage."

"But he's going to be fine," Darcy asked.

"We won't know until if or when he wakes up," the doctor replied. "the bullet he was shot with punctured his left lung twice and nicked a major artery. We have taken him out of the anaesthetic, but he won't be awake for a while. His body needs time to heal and rest.

"I could still lose him," Darcy's chest felt tight as tears welled in her eyes.

"I wish I could tell you more but there is nothing else I can say it's up to him," the doctor grimace, feeling sorry for the couple.

Half an hour later the door opened once again revealing to nurses guiding Charlie's bed. At the sight of him, both Darcy and Spencer heart dropped. His body was littered with bruises that had come to the surface a ventilator tube to help him breathe.

"This is all my fault," Darcy sobbed, "I should have tried to stop him but I was too scared to move. Charlie wouldn't let him near me."

"Darcy looks at me this is not your fault, its Deans," Spencer tried to reassure her his anger sparking again as he said the monsters name. "He was the one who hurt him, not you. Not only that Darcy he also hurt you. You couldn't have stopped him if you tried, and I think Charlie knew that. Otherwise, why would he have stopped Dean from going anywhere near you, other than the fact he loved you."

"I can't lose him," she whispered squeezing her morphine pump as pain shot through her arm and stomach.

"I know, but he's a fighter remember. Even before he was born, from what you have told me," Spencer tried to lighten the mood. "We just have to let him fight, it's all up to him."

"He sure is," she smiles looking at Charlie's bed with a sad smile.

"Speaking of children, where are my other two babies," Darcy asked her husband, missing Elijah and Mia.

"They went home with JJ," Spencer smiled as he kissed her head. "They will be back tomorrow. But now you need to sleep it's late."

Without Darcy's eyes drooped shut as she fell into the darkness of sleep, the morphine kicking in quickly. Spencer could not help but smile as she still held her his hand before he fell asleep himself. 

Tomorrow would be a new day he just had to hope Charlie would keep fighting. Not just for Darcy's sake but for himself, Charlie and Mia and Elijah as well. Together they needed to heal.

They just needed the opportunity.

________________________________________

Hey guys another chapter done and dusted 

Enjoy and let me know what you think, your feedback insprise me.

Mollyxxx