Nineteen+

© Amber Kalkes 2014

Song-----------}

"Bring Me To Life" By Evanescence

Nineteen+

A drop of wetness hits my forehead making my flinch awake. Squeezing my eyes closed a few times I try to get my equilibrium back but that does little against the roll in my stomach from the strong stench of sulfur. It reeks from every pore of the room I’m in, I’m sure of it and though I’m not quiet sure where I am, I am sure that puking won’t help my situation any.

I flinch again as another drop of wetness hits my face again bringing the memories of how I got here to the forefront. Shit, that’s only to word that can escape my mouth and I frown as I listen to it echo in the blackened room. Wiggling about I realize I’m laying on something very smooth but also hard, maybe a rock or a slab? Due to the darkness I try to use my hands to feel around a bit but I can only move them about four inches before I feel a pulling at my wrist and the sound of chains clanging.

This isn’t looking very promising.

“Okay, no I need to stay calm.” I whisper to myself out loud. “I need to just assess the situation and I’ll be fine.”

“Do you often speak to yourself?”

I turn towards the noise but I still can’t make out much no matter how adjusted my eyes are becoming to the dark. A sense movement before the room becomes illuminated with about six large crystals poking out around the ground and oddly enough surrounding just me. Now the room is lit up and I blink a few times to stop the stinging in my eyes before inspecting the area around me.

I’m in a cave; at least that’s what it looks like. Above me are large things hanging off the ceiling, which if I remember my science class correctly are called stalagmites. Another drop of water hits my forehead and I peek up to notice one huge stalagmite is hanging right over me like a guillotine waiting to be dropped. I glance over at my hands and am no happier to report that my hands are indeed chained to this huge carved altar I’m laying on, at least it looks like an altar to me.

“Magnificent isn’t it?” The same dark voice from before asks.

I squint into the still darkened area the voice seems to keep coming from, “Who are you? Why am I here?”

“She didn’t tell you?”

“No one has told me anything!” I snap, “Please just help me!”

The voice makes an tsking noise, “I’m afraid I can’t do that.”

“What? Why?”

The owner of the voice steps into the light and I feel my stomach drop. His slicked back coal black hair, black eyes with a ring of red around the iris; the black tipped clawed fingers with pale nearly translucent skin covering ever other inch of the man’s body. His full pink lips pull up into a smirk and that’s when I really see the similarities in their features.

This man is Gideon’s father. I am so fucked.

“Is it that obvious?” He asks with a smile. “My children may have their mother’s human blood in them but it did nothing to remove the mark of my bloodline in their features.”

“What do you want from me?” I ask quietly trying to move away from him as far as I can considering my currently shitty position. “I doubt you want money and my powers can’t be worth much to you.”