Two+

© Amber Kalkes 2014

Song----------------------}

"Paralyzed" By Rock Kills Kid

Two+

Something is poking my cheek. Something small and kind of sharp is poking me over and over again and it is getting really annoying. Opening my eyes I immediately jump back as two large blue orbs look back at me. Flinging my body back I topple over the top of a couch and land in a heap on the carpet below.

“Nola Marie Gray!” A woman’s voice scolds.

Getting over my heart attack I look up to see a beautiful blonde dressed in light colored jeans and a white t-shirt with her long blonde hair braided to the side loosely. Her eyes are the same shade as the ones I saw but yet not the same. She looks down at me kindly making me want to recoil into the carpet I’m sprawled out on awkwardly.

What the hell is going on?

“Where are my manners, I’m so sorry. My name is Edie Gray and this is my rambunctious little hellion Nola.” The blonde says with a small hand. I just blink at her. “Do you need help up?”

“N-No.” I eventually stutter out.

Using a pair of shaking arms I push myself up from the carpet and get to my equally shaky feet. It’s then I realize I’m not wearing my shoes, or my sweater, or my dignity. I think I lost that when I pole-vaulted the couch. I feel a gaze on me to my right and I go to meet it only to find a little girl grinning at me. She too is blonde and beautiful like her mother but with a mischievous look in her eyes.

“Hi.” She chirps with a cute little wave, “I’m Nola. What’s your name?”

“Uh…”

“Nola, don’t bombard her.” The blonde…uh, I mean Edie, scolds. “I’m sorry, she’s a bit chipper in the morning. Would you like some coffee or tea?”

“Um…”

“Oh my god.” Edie giggles blushing a bit on the apples of her cheeks, “I bet you are so confused right now.”

I let out a heavy breath, “God yes.”

“Again, I’m sorry.” She says having the graciousness to look contrite, “Well, my brother brought you home last night injured but we fixed you up.”

“Injured?” I repeat slowly more to myself.

I glance down at my left upper arm and stupidly poke it. I hiss at my own hand before glancing up at a very amused looking Edie. She uncrosses her arms and smiles kindly at me.

“Nola, why don’t you come and help me make some tea for our guest.”

Nola jumps up like a tree frog, “Okay!”

“Make yourself comfortable, honey.” Edie informs me with another beautiful smile before taking her daughters hand and practically skipping into the kitchen. “Oh and honey?”

I snap my head up to look at her, “Y-Yeah?”

“He’s a bit rough around the edges but be patient, okay?”

“Uh…okay?”

She leaves and I am left stupefied.

He?

I hesitantly make my way towards the couch I woke up on and settle back against the tan colored cushions. The house is beautifully eccentric with its earth tones and touches of the little girl, Nola here and there. Like the bottle cap wind chimes in the bay window in the front of the living room or the framed scribbles of a child hung like little works of art.