Chapter 15

Chaos. 

Complete and utter chaos. 

As I take my last glimpse upon the Book Ward, that is all I can see. The last picture of what I have come to call my home is a vision of bodies pressed together, huddled by a door, waiting for the inevitable but hoping for a hero. 

I find it almost impossible not to be swallowed up by the crowd. Chase's muscular arm and dizzying scent are my anchor, though, and I'm able to stay rooted. 

Somewhere in the back, a fight breaks out between a Twi-Hard and a Tribute. 

Under normal circumstance, I would break it up. But there's no way in hell i'm leaving Chase. Not now. Not like this. They'll just have to settle it themselves. 

A guard in white opens the door and motions for all of us to be quiet. The taser at his side says more than enough, and the room falls silent. Chase squeezes my hand in anticipation, and I lace my fingers with his, glad to know that he's still by my side. 

"ALL BOOK WARD PATIENTS WILL FOLLOW ME TO THE NEW BUILDING." The man in white shouts. He walks out the door, and immediately people begin to push and shove. I cringe when I hear the unmistakeable sound of tasers going off, and voices shouting "In an orderly fashion!!!!"  Everyone begins to slow. Chelsea, Kat, David, and Ryan are behind chase and I, linking arms to make sure no one gets lost in the crowd. Chelsea places a hand on my shoulder, and Ryan places his on Chase's. Slowly but surely, we make our way out of the doorway and past the triangular room I've come to know. I try and look back at what's come to be my home, my haven, but my vision is blurred by all the people pouring out. It's gone. 

We make our way past the front entrance, where everybody was first brought to on their first day. The woman who welcomed me, Wendy, is still there smiling so wide that the corners of her mouth start to twitch. 

Finally we come to a huge set of wooden double doors. On it, a poem is written is large, black, swirly letter. 

Beware your pleasures

You're young at heart

And also young at mind

But be sure

To know your enemies

And you just might find

That you know nothing of the truth

You are blind, dumb, and deaf

So child remember, beware your pleasures

For they might cause your death. 

"Woah" Katrina says, materializing next to me. "A little creepy with that poem on the doors, huh?" I nod in agreement. It's more than a little creepy. It sounds exactly like something Vivian Pengleton would write. My stomach lurches at the thought of the Book. My body falls forward into a boy who looks a little bit older than me. His shirt has a picture of Shawn Mendes on it. 

Great.

"Watch it, bitch." He hisses at me. I glare at him, but Chase steps in before I have the chance to say anything. "Say anything else to her and I'll break both your legs, Mendes soldier." He scowls. The boy looks like he's going to argue, but thinks better of it when he looks at Chase's muscles. 

Yeah. Smart guy. 

Chase wraps a reassuring arm around my shoulder as we get closer to the double doors. "You ready?" He asks me softly. I shrug my shoulders. "I don't know. Fandom wars were hard enough in the Book Ward, but here?? There's going to be a catastrophe with those crazy Directioners running around and shit." Chase manages a laugh, but I can tell he's nervous too. I mean, throwing people with such huge differences together, it's a dangerous thing. I turn around and search for David, Ryan, Chelsea, and Katrina, but all of them have disappeared in the massive crowd. I point out my worries to Chase. "Don't sweat...baby." He says. A shot of euphoria goes through my body when he calls me this. The moment is made even more cute because of the slight hesitation, as if he's asking my permission to say this. "So where are they...babe?" I say, with a little more confidence. He grins widely.