Chapter 12 : Welcome to the Unknown World

With my mask secured in place, I walked over to Anthony, who was dressed in his black tux, and I slid my arm right arm through his left. We were in my room, at the Avery’s. I wasn’t able to receive a tour, granted that we arrived a mere three hours before the ball began. All I was able to see was the gigantic, white themed foyer, and the marble staircase it was connected to. Oh, and the massive maze of hallways that lead to the rooms, and of course, my room.

“You ready?” Anthony asked whilst fixing his black tie with his spare hand. I nodded. “Ok, then. Let’s go.”

Everyone was downstairs already. In the ballroom. We had to wait a little while, since it would be weird if a girl left Frank’s room. We walked down the stairs and Anthony led me to the ballroom. As we got closer, I gripped Anthony’s arm tighter. He chuckled, and stopped. We were there. The only thing that separated us and the ball right now was the cream colored, gold accented, French doors. Anthony took the handle to the right door and pushed. Hard. For some reason, the left door opened as well. Instantly, I felt like I was pushed into another period of time. They all wore medieval styled clothing, and their masks were really making you guess who they were. I stared at them, and they stared back. I would’ve stayed glued to the floor all night facing this mesmerizing scene if Anthony had not pulled me and started walking down the middle of the room.

To the others, the scene they were seeing looked a lot different than mine. To them, they were seeing a short girl dressed in white, who had her normal wavy dark brown hair curled and put in a bun. The hair that could not reach the bun was left along the sides of her face. Her mask was white, and covered in silk. It masked almost half her face, and never slipped off. The young, tall, and handsome boy to her right had his hair styled the same way an average teenage boy would, except his hair looked silky and smooth. An every girl’s dream. His black tux fit him perfectly; it showed off his muscles, but didn’t look like it would tear because of it. He had on a skinny black tie that lay on top of the white polo shirt he wore underneath his tux. His mask was like the girls, but it only covered up his eye area. Through the slits, you could almost see autumn in his eyes. They were a light brown that reminded anyone of the leaves.

“Hey, hey, are you ok?” Anthony asked me quietly. I snapped out of my little fantasy, and I looked up to meet his eyes.

“Huh?”

“I said, ‘are you ok?’” I looked around and saw that we were now in the middle of the ballroom, with everyone dancing once again around us.

“I’m fine. Are you sure the guys won’t be looking for me?” We had the discussion on the way there, and yet I felt like I needed to be reassured once more before the dancing really began.

“Franchesca, we told no one about our masks or what we’re wearing. No one told anything to anyone. No one knows who we are. Relax and have a little fun.” I smiled up at him. “That’s the spirit! Here, dance with me.” He took my right hand in his left and put his right hand on my waist. In return, I kept my right hand up and put my left on his shoulder. That night, right then, I had my first dance.

Anthony kept dancing with me. For some odd reason, he never wanted to let go. I saw girls all around us flirting shamelessly with him, and yet, he seemed to not want to leave me. Even when the girls looked way more pretty, beautiful, or talented. Anthony Wade stuck by plain old Franchesca Hyde.

When the clock struck ten, Anthony finally granted me some rest, and he led us to the refreshments table.

“I am so tired,” I said, as we sat down on some chairs by the refreshments. These were the only chairs in the whole room, literally, so we had to make-do without a table.