Chapter 20 : The Things I'm Afraid Of

I'm dedicating this to TellTaleHeart, because, I swear to God, her books are AMAZEBALLS.

**********

Chapter 20 : The Things I’m Afraid Of

“Guys, I have a problem,” I announced. I was standing on my bed, and immediately, all the boys stopped what they were doing.

“Is there a problem, Chesca?” Anthony asked, concerned.

“Is there anyone I have to kill?” Derek sounded absolutely serious.

“What? No!” I took a deep breath before I continued. “It’s just that, I can’t go to prom.”

“Why not?” Paul looked baffled.

“Because I’ll have to go in a tux. If I go in a dress, I won’t be able to actually attend. It’s Connor Stanley’s prom; I have to be a person’s date.”

“I’ll go with you,” Derek offered.

“You can’t, none of you can. You all have dates.”

“I don’t,” Mark spoke up. “Going stag, remember?”

“Oh, yeah! There you go Franchesca, problem solved!” Paul said happily. Anthony, on the other hand, had a scowl on his face.

“I don’t think that’s a good idea,” He interjected.

“And why is it not a good idea?” Mark challenged Anthony.

“Because, you hurt her before; doesn’t mean you won’t again.”

“Listen, Anthony. I’m sorry; Chesca knows that. I’ll never touch her that way again.”

“Promise?”

“Promise.”

“Fine, you have my blessing, but I swear, Mark—“

“Ok! We have an arrangement, then.” I wanted to finish the conversation between the two, because I had a big feeling it wasn’t going to end well if I let Anthony finish his sentence.

“Alright, so I’ll pick you up at seven?” Mark joked.

“We live in the same room, idiot,” I laughed. Guess he’s one of the people who could make me laugh.

“Alright, then. Prom is in, what? Three days? We’ve got to go to the city to buy our tuxes. Dress, in Chesca’s case,” Paul stated.

“How about tomorrow? I think everyone’s free tomorrow,” Derek suggested.

“That’s the first smart thing that’s ever come out of your mouth,” Anthony kidded. Derek slapped him on the upside of his head. “Ow!”

“Yeah, say it again.”

“I’d rather not.”

“Good boy,” Derek said, as if he was saying it to a dog. Anthony scowled at him.

“Ok, so, tomorrow?” I asked.

“Yeah, tomorrow,” They all agreed.

The following day, we all headed to the city. We all got permission notes from Dr. Gardner, and next thing I knew, I was in a taxi, with four of us squished in the back, and my right side planted against the door.

“Alright, this is really uncomfortable,” Anthony complained from my left. He circled his arms around my waist, and with one, sharp tug, he had me on his lap.

“I told you to just hail two taxis,” Mark said from up front. Because he was the tallest, and needed the most space, we let him occupy the front seat.