Chapter 10 : Sorry

Chapter 10 : Sorry

The door burst open, and immediately, my head turned that way. Mark. I could feel Anthony tense to my left, and I knew I had to deal with it.

“What do you think you’re doing? Why the fuck is Frank in your bed Anthony?” He asked, yelling. He slammed the door behind him, and walked extremely quickly towards the foot of the bed. Mark faced us, and looked at us straight in the eye. “Are you two gay?” Anthony’s eyes widened.

“Oh dear God, no!” He said, almost too quickly. “Dude! You saw me on a date! And then you—“ Anthony was rambling, so I took a deep breath, and did what I did best: lie.

“Little Anthony here thought he could scare me. Made me watch Paranormal Activity 3,” I told Mark. He seemed to calm down a little, so I knew my lying was flawless. As always. “I got cold in the middle of the movie, so I got under the covers, and somewhere along the line, Anthony got scared, so he jumped into the covers too.”

“Hey! I did no such thing!” Anthony quickly defended. I raised my eyebrow at him in a look that said ‘Really?’ and then looked at where his legs should be. Surely enough, they were under the covers. “Fine. Ok. Maybe.” Mark burst out laughing.

“Oh, God. THANK GOD. You’re not gay,” He said, once he sobered up. He plopped down on his bed and threw his shoes across the room. He turned to Anthony. “By the way dude, nice date.” I bit my lip to keep myself from laughing. Poor idiot still has no clue.

“Yeah. Thanks,” Anthony replied.

“She’s hot.”

“I know.”

“How’d ya contact her?”

“I called her.”

“Why?” This time, Anthony didn’t answer immediately. So I did.

“I told him he should have fun this Christmas,” I told Mark. Mark looked past Anthony and straight at me.

“Oh, really? Then, why didn’t you go and call Franchesca.” He raised his eyebrows at me.

“I don’t know Franchesca,” I answered, without skipping a beat. Mark nodded his head.

“Touché.” I turned to Anthony.

“Well, I best be off,” I told him. I got out of bed and walked, oh, two steps to my bed? I got in, and we all flicked off our lights. I looked at my alarm clock. Eleven fifty-nine. “Merry Christmas,” I said.

“Merry Christmas, Frank,” I heard Anthony say into the darkness.

“Happy Christmas,” Mark’s voice rang. I got frustrated. Must we go through this again?

“It’s Merry, as in Merry Christmas,” I told him.

“Whatever.” And that was the last word muttered before the clock struck twelve.

It was Monday, and the first day of classes. We all were in the cafeteria, eating, and whatnot. I had come to learn that the Dean barely comes in; only if there’s something important. So imagine my face when she walked in that morning. She didn’t even really say ‘goodbye’ to her students. Dr. Gardner clapped her hands, and it silenced the room immediately. From the double-doors of the cafeteria, she spoke.

“Attention to the Upper-class men, as you all know, from this day onwards, you no longer have sport. For the juniors who were accepted into the school varsity teams, only you still have sport, but the timings will be posted on the bulletin. From now on, all sports classes for Upper-class men will be replaced by S.D.T. Under-class men, you are un-effected. Nice to see you back, boys!” Like the first time, she left without another word. As soon as she left, the boys continued talking, as if nothing happened, and their conversation was never interrupted.