Chapter 6

Wow, I just really appreciate all of the supportive things you all say. Thank you! ❤️
______________________

The sun came up as it always does. Wilson seemed to notice that when the sun leaves, the dark comes instantaneously but when the sun comes up, the dark seems to linger longer than it should.

Maxwell felt pretty good today. He didn't have a headache or any pain. His hand looked fine and it seems his fever went away. He stepped out of his tent and saw the fire still going. "Wilson..." He grumbled under his breath.

Wilson was a bit farther away in some grassy fields, watching the rabbits scamper around. He wanted to catch one to dissect it. He had a trap set up, he was just waiting for some unsuspecting victim to walk into it.

Wilson waited a few more minutes until he heard a loud screech. He saw his trap was successful! He ran over, grabbing the rabbit by it's scruff and smiling. "Hey there bud!" Wilson smiled. "Sorry, gonna have to hurt you..." He stuffed the rabbit into his backpack and he ran back to base.

Maxwell was sat down on a log, watching the fire and waiting on the crockpot to make something. He saw Wilson walk past but didn't really acknowledge him. Max threw a small stick into the hungry fire, watching it burn up.

Wilson set the rabbit onto a makeshift table he had made. Chester had also waddled over this time, looking over at what Wilson was doing. Wilson had the rabbit's head cut off, leaving it screeching no more. Maxwell looked over at him, wondering what in the hell he was doing. Wilson started to cut open the rabbit, looking inside of it.

"Wh-what? Impossible! This isn't scientifically accurate!" Wilson said, looking at the mess.

"What isn't accurate?" Maxwell said, chuckling.

"This anatomy! It's almost as if it were made to be a toy!" Wilson sighed, looking down at Chester. Chester looked terrified.

"Maybe it was just... Y'know.... Made by a magician..." Maxwell raised a brow at him.

"Of course..." Wilson threw the rabbit corpse off of his table. "I don't know why I even bothered."

"Well, hey, don't be discouraged." Maxwell walked over to him and picked up the rabbit corpse. "Uh..." Inside the rabbit was stuffing and some meat. Maxwell stuck his hand deep into the rabbit's torso and with some slight of hand, he was able to take out a long rope of colorful scarves. Seems he was still able to do his old tricks.

"How long have you had those scarves with you?" Wilson asked as Maxwell kept pulling until it reached enough of a comically long length.

"Oh no, I pulled these out of the rabbit." Maxwell teased. "I only just got these scarves!" He chuckled.

"If you say so." Wilson giggled a bit.
______________________

Maxwell was enjoying this break. It felt like he could focus on something other than dying. He took out his magic quarter and started redoing some old tricks he used to do when he was a simple street magician.

Wilson was searching through some chests. "Maxwell, have you seen any of my makeshift cups?"

"Makeshift cups?" He looked over at him. "Hm... Sorry, can't say I have." He couldn't help but smile a bit. "But, this weather, how should I call it..."

"Weather? Maxwe-"

"Foggy?"

"Maxwell, where are my-"

"No, no, wet?"

"Oh my goodness..."

"Oh! I know!" He got up and started to walk past the walls they had built. "Look, Wilson!"

Wilson sighed, coming up behind him. All of the cups were lined up outside. He looked up at Maxwell, clearly not amused.

"It's... Muggy..." He snickered a lil, doing his best to hold back any full on giggling.

Wilson gave a little sigh, walking over and picking up all of the cups
______________________

Wilson was sat on his knees, next to the science machine. He looked half asleep, slowly making what seemed to be a boomerang. It was almost dark but the fire was blazing.

"Wilson, don't you think it's time to go rest? You've been at that machine for hours, making replacements and backups and backups for the backups." Maxwell crossed his arms

"No... I have to keep going. I just have to slap myself a few times, I'll be fine." He raised his hand up, but before he could do any damage, Maxwell swooped in and stopped his hand from making contact to his face.

"Absolutely not. You're going to bed!" Maxwell raised him up onto his feet

"Nooo!" Wilson cried out like a toddler. "I wanna keep going!" He huffed

"Wilson, listen to me!"

"Nuh uh. Not listening." He plugged up his ears

"You're acting like a child! Get into the tent." Maxwell dragged him, much to the dismay of his companion.

Wilson kicked Maxwell's shin just before he dragged him into the tent, allowing him to escape from his grasp. "I'm not going into that temporary death machine!" Wilson said

"Wilson, you made it yourself!" Maxwell racked his brain for why he could be acting like this. Then it hit him.

"I don't want to sleep." He huffed, turning away from him and crossing his arms. Wilson stared into the darkness, his heart rate slowly going up.

Maxwell dug into one of the chests and pulled out a garland. As Wilson was turned around, he snuck up behind him.

Wilson was frozen, looking into the dark. "Maxw-" He was cut off by a woman's face emerging from the dark towards him, making Wilson fall back into Maxwell, toppling them both.

"W-wilson??" Maxwell secured the garland onto his head. "Are you alright?"

"Huh? You didn't see her??" He looked up at Maxwell. Then he felt what was on his head and calmed down a bit. "Oh... This feels nice..." Wilson sighed in relief.

"I didn't see anything?" Maxwell wrapped his arms around him in a hug. "Why? What was it?"

"It was a lady..." Wilson looked up at him, holding onto his suit. It was a bit comforting.

"A lady? Do you know what she looked like?"

"Uhm, no. I didn't quite catch the details..." He chuckled nervously

"That's fine. As long as you're ok. Let's get to bed." Maxwell picked him up and set Wilson down on his feet, taking him to his own tent and then climbing into his own.