Chapter Nineteen

"Oh, come on, Laila. Stop being a baby," Amora laughs, buttoning another one of the zillion buttons that hold my dress together. I'd forgotten how tight this dress was.

"A baby?" I wheeze out, fighting for breath. I rest a hand on my stomach. "Gods, I think I popped a lung."

Amora scoffs playfully and tells me to shut up.

It's Saturday night and Amora and I are getting ready for the Halloween masquerade ball. Of course I had to go with the tight, slightly risque option. Why couldn't I have gone with one of those gods-awful poofy, beaded dresses? I clutch my chest as she tugs the strings even tighter, wheezing for breath. How am I supposed to dance in this?

Amora, who had put it upon herself to help me get ready for the ball, grunts and buttons the last of the buttons of my dress up tight. I gasp, sitting up straight. I look down and frown in horror. Had my boobs always been this big? They're practically popping out of my dress! Sure, it's long sleeved, but the fabric of the sleeves and top of the front is sheer. Bashfully, I tug my dress up higher, uncomfortable showing so much skin.

"There," Amora sighs in satisfaction, standing back to admire her good work.

Suddenly, there's a timid knock at the door.

"It's him!" Amora hisses, quickly tying on her silver mask with the pink rose on the side.

As she picks at her rosy pink ball gown and fixes her curly blond locks, I open the door. Egan stands in the doorway, fidgeting with the corsage box he holds. In his black tux, he looks absolutely adorable, especially with the scarlet blush spread across his pale cheeks.

"Hi, Egan," I greet with a smile.

He grins back, looking a little green. "Hi, Laila. You look nice."

Before I can reply, Amora comes to stand in the doorway coughing delicately to gain her boyfriend's attention. Egan's eyes slide to her immediately and his jaw drops. He opens and closes his mouth like a fish out of water, staring at he like she's the most beautiful girl in the world, demigod or not.

"Wow, you look. . .wow," he says in awe, his eyes practically gleaming.

Amora blushes a rosy pink, matching her dress. Egan hands her the pink rose corsage with fumbling fingers. With a shy smile, she slips it on and admires it's beauty. The little white gems within it sparkle in the light, making the demigod of Aphrodite look like a true princess.

"Alright, have fun you two," I chuckle, shutting the door.

Once alone, I put my long, dark hair up into a chignon, letting a few short strands curl around my face. When I finish, I tie on my mask; a silver, elegant looking thing with intricate swirls that frame my eyes. In the light, my mask appears midnight black but, in the moonlight, it's shining silver. My star-like blue eyes glow out from behind it, otherworldly in themselves. For once, I'm okay with the changes my divine lineage brought me.

I look into the mirror to admire my gown. It's a shining silver, sparkly gown that fits like a glove. The back is sheer, except for the line of small, white buttons that trail from the base of my neck past the small of my back. From there, the dress changes into a shining silver material that flows out from my hips and pools at my feet. Shining, silver gems are scattered across my collar bone, melding into the sweetheart neckline. When I move, the fabric shimmers in the moonlight that shines through my window. Amora was right. It's perfect.

I look down at my nightstand and see the moonstone that Declan gave me sitting there, gleaming in the light. I frown. No, I'm done with him. I can't wear that. The opalescent stone would look so good with this dress, though, I think longingly. I pick it up by it's delicate chain and bite my lip. It did belong to me before I met Declan and wearing it doesn't mean I have any romantic obligation towards him . . . I fasten it around my neck and smile at the way it glistens in the moonlight. I look up at my reflection in the mirror and see that it was the right choice. I may not be ready to accept what I am and what that means for me, but, right now, I look like an honest to gods goddess and I'm okay with that.