Chapter Sixteen

Amora and I stay up most of the night and, in the early hours of the morning, Amora falls asleep. Try as I might, I can't seem to do the same. I toss and turn but the night calls to me, begging me to go out and relish every moon beam, every star in the sky.

Giving up, I throw the covers off of me and make my way over to the closet Amora and I share. Donning a long, black coat, I sneak quietly out of the room and down the halls. I move swiftly, praying that I won't be found by the other demigods. I don't think I could take another round of their questioning and worshiping.

When I pass through the front doors, into the night, I make a dash for the forest. The dew covered grass is soft and cool under my bare feet. The cool night air whips my already reddening cheeks. I pull my coat tighter around me and make a beeline for the forest. Once under the cover of the trees, I slow my pace and take a moment to breathe. The chilled air burns my lungs, but I take in a deep breath anyway. To fight off the cold, I tug the large hood of the coat farther past my face.

I walk down the moonlit path, staring up at the sky. The beauty of it captivates me. A small smile tugs at my lips as I look up at it. The soft, serene feeling is back, telling me to let go of the worry and fear I feel. Under the gentle glow of the moon, I do let it go, continuing to stare longingly up at the sky as if it will solve all of my worries. The pale face of the moon smiles down at me as if Nyx herself is watching me fondly."Couldn't sleep?" an amused voice questions from behind me.

Startled out of my moon induced peace, I spin around to face a handsome, smiling man. Declan chuckles at my jumpiness. I flush scarlet, biting my bottom lip bashfully, remembering how he'd watched me leave with Theo while he'd hid in trees.

"What are you doing up this late?" I ask, pushing the focus off of myself and back onto him.

A soft smile graces those luscious lips of his. I love his smile, I realize. Though rare, they never fail to enrapture me.

"I had a feeling that you were up roaming the night," he replies lightly. Then he grins. "You know, we really should do something about your restlessness."

I can't help but agree. I am so very exhausted, but the night's call is too strong. I can't ignore it, the night is part of me.

"Like what?' I ask hesitantly. After all, he was able to get me to fall asleep the night before . . . maybe he can do it again.

Sitting on the forest floor, he motions for me to join him. I do, not caring if the white, Greek style dress I fell asleep in gets dirty. Declan lies down, pulling me down with him. He wraps a strong arm around my waist and pulls me onto his chest protectively.

I rest my head on his muscular chest, sighing in content. I know that I shouldn't be here -that I should have gone to Theo- but between the moon's influence and Declan's protective embrace, I can't find the will to care. Taking off my coat, I drape it over our bodies like a blanket to help shield us from the chilly night.

"From now on, call me when you're about to go to bed, okay, love?" Declan instructs me in an affectionate voice. I nod against his chest, then pause.

For a moment, guilt seizes me. How can I do this to Theo? Sweet, warm Theo. . .

This is the last time I do this. Ever. I'll stay true to Theo, my wonderful boyfriend. But, for now, I let myself enjoy being in Declan's arms.

Just like the night before, Declan tenderly runs his fingers through my hair. The motion is so soothing, I can't get enough of it. As he does this, Declan tells me stories of Thanatos -me- and her mysterious Warrior. I hang on his every word, dying to know more about who I am. His tales are so vivid that I question how he knows all this. Did he know me when I was a goddess?