The Verdict

A closing argument, my father once told me, is the last chance to play God.

A final chance to conjure up something good out of nothingness. Or in this case...something minute. In this case, my task is not so overwhelming.

After Amanda's James's testimony the vultures were buzzing. They'd run a story last night on the whole trial, and how, and I quote, 'Ashley Davies, lethal questioning sends newly initiated police detective reeling.' I'd all but had this case won... in my opinion.

But sometimes things don't go as we expect them too.

As I stood to make my way over to the podium to address the jury, I felt pretty confident. I courteously acknowledged Scott and the Judge, expressed my appreciation to the jurors for their attention and began speaking. With a semi-forceful and authoritative voice I started, "On September 16th , Aiden Dennison died in a horrible tragedy. His life was cut short and for that I am truly and deeply sorry, but you must not compound a terrible tragedy by finding an innocent woman guilty of murder." I step from behind the podium and move closer to the jury. "Let me take you back to when this trial began a few days ago. At this time, Mr. Williams made a number of promises to you. He said he would prove that Mrs. Dennison, beyond a shadow of a doubt committed this crime, because of greed and other factors. He said he would prove that Mrs. Dennison was a liar and a cold-blooded murder. He said he would prove all of this—beyond a reasonable doubt, when in fact, he has proven none of this." Gesturing passionately, I continued to speak. "His witnesses proved nothing more than that a crime took place, yes, Mrs. Dennison's fingerprints were found on the murder weapon, but it was a family owned firearm. Both Mr. and Mrs. Dennison's fingerprints were on it. Yes, there was blood on her hands, shoes and clothes: after coming downstairs from a nap Mrs. Dennison found her husband laying lifeless on the floor, who wouldn't expect her to kneel and check for a pulse. Something the first responding police officer did not." I say and turn to look out at the court patrons. Amanda was not present. Figures. "I have shown you over the past few days that the State's case against my client is merely circumstantial at best. These accusations have not been proven in anyway in this courtroom today or any other day. You have heard testimonies from her friends and family, allowing you to see the person Mrs. Dennison truly is. A kind and loving person, that even after she found out her husband was cheating on her, continued to love and cherish him because marriage is something she holds sacred. Now, does that sound like a killer to you? Someone that could shoot someone she loves three times in cold blood. No!" I state firmly, slamming my left fist into my right hand. "It doesn't and we all can see that clearly. So I ask you, the great people of the jury, to examine all the evidence, replay every testimony in your minds as you are making a decision regarding the life of my client. Her life is literally now in your hands." I tell them and end on that note. I thank them for their attention and take a seat. After taking my seat, Scott stood and approached the podium.

After ritually acknowledging the judge, myself and the jury, he began to speak. "You know, Ms. Davies was right about one thing. I don't feel as though I have done all I can to prove to you that Mrs. Dennison absolutely killed her husband." He shakes his head and looks at each member of the jury. "But I want you to look at the facts and decide for yourselves. Mrs. Dennison was in the home at the time of the murder, even she admitted to that." He says and starts to count them off on his fingers. "The victims blood was found all over her person." Two. "When dialing 911 about her dead husband laying on the floor bleeding to death, she sounded as if she couldn't have cared less, does that sound like a person who loved and cherished their husband?" Three. "The weapon used in the crime was that of one Mr. and Mrs. Dennison, which they kept in a secret location that only the two of them knew about." Four. "And last, Mrs. Dennison believed that her husband was cheating on her. She believed it and she used it. She used it as motivation to kill him and the two million dollar insurance policy she claims to know nothing about was just a bonus." Five. He finishes and hold five fingers in the air above his head. "Five reasons to convict." Is all he says then sits down. All throughout his closing argument, I scrutinized the jury, searching for any signs of positive response. During a brief recess, while the judge gave the jury instructions, I talked to Spencer.