Gotcha!

Amanda was my first witness I called to the stand after lunch. I wanted to build up Spencer's character a little more before going in for the kill with this witness but I decided I wanted to keep with her while it was all still pretty fresh in the jurors minds.

"Hello again, Ms. James." I greet her with a smirk as I approach the witness stand and she doesn't even try and hide her resentment. In case you're wondering, I'm allowed to subpena a witness that was previously a states witness for my defense if she's relevant to the case. And oh boy is she relevant. "In previous testimonies, you stated that when you arrived at the Dennison residence, you went straight inside and arrested my client, is that correct?"

"Yes." She nods.

"Did you call out and make your presence known?" I ask and she gives me a confused look. "Let me rephrase the question for you Ms. James. When you arrived at the Dennison residence, did you notify the occupants that you were the police before entering?" I ask.

"The defendant called 911 and said that her husband had been shot, I wasn't thinking to ring the doorbell and wait for an answer." She says in a sarcastic tone and some of the court patrons stifle their laughter.

"But isn't it police protocol to announce yourself before entering a private residence?" I ask and she nods. "I'm sorry could you say that out loud for the record please."

"Yes." She says snappy.

"But you didn't do that, did you?" I ask and she rolls her eyes before answering,

"No."

"Do you break protocol often, Ms. James?" She shifts uncomfortably in her chair.

"I'm not sure what you mean."

I smirk and walk away from the witness stand. "Why didn't you check to see if the victim was still alive, Ms. James?" I ask her, turning back to face her.

"I'm sorry, what?" Oh this bitch wants to play dumb.

"Why, upon entering the Dennison residence, did you not check to see if the victim was still breathing?" I ask her in a more forceful tone.

"I don't...I..." I shake my head and quickly walk over to the table and pick up her witness statement.

"People's evidence 'C', you testified in your police statement that you and I quote 'I immediately removed Spencer Dennison from the home, put her in handcuffs and placed her in my squad car, and waited outside the residence for backup to arrive.' Is this or is this not an excerpt from your own personal statement?" I ask.

"Yes."

"So tell me Ms. James," I say placing the paper down on the table and walking back over the her. "Why didn't you check to see if the victim was still breathing? Isn't that police protocol? Isn't that the humane thing to do?" I ask, this time raising my voice a little.

"Objection Your Honor, badgering the witness." Scott says.

"Overruled. Answer the question Ms. James." He instructs her.

"Which one?" She snaps.

"Why didn't you check to see if the victim was still alive?" I ask her again.

"I don't know." She responds. I chuckle a bit to myself and walk away.

"Ms. James, being a police officer-"

"Detective." She corrects me.

"Oh right, how could I forget your recent promotion." I say in a condescending manner. "As a police detective." I say stressing the word. "You carry in your possession,at all times, a department issued weapon correct?"