Chapter 9

Hiccup stood on the dock the next morning, watching the council sail away towards Berk. He waved goodbye as he watched them fade into the distance. He turned around when they were out of sight. Liv stood where the dock met the island.

"You said you wanted to talk?" she said, making her way to Hiccup.

"I want to ask you something," Hiccup said. He looked around to make sure they were alone.

"Of course, but why do you look so tense?" she asked, noticing his actions.

"I'm going to see Toothless again," he whispered. Liv gasped. "Do you want to come with me?"

"What?" Liv asked.

"I'm making a small detour to the hidden world before I return to Berk. That's why I didn't leave with the others. Do you want to come," Hiccup asked.

Liv's eyes lit up with excitement, "Yes, of course, I'll go with you!" she said louder than Hiccup would've liked.

"Ok but its location has to stay a secret. Not even all of Berk knows where it is so if you tell anyone-" Hiccup began

"I promise I won't tell anyone. No one will know that I know, on Karmen's life," Liv said, lifting up her right hand.

"Who's Karmen?" Hiccup asked.

"Karmen's my best friend I was telling you about," Liv began. She gasped, "You should meet him before we leave!"

Liv pulled Hiccup through the village to the blacksmith. When they arrived, Hiccup's eyes landed on a man who looked to be a little older than himself. He was taller than Hiccup, deep brown hair and ocean blue eyes like Astrid's.

Karmen ignored Hiccup when he first turned to acknowledge the people who had come to his workspace. Instead, his eyes landed on Liv and a smile lit up on his face.

"Livvy! It's so good to see you again!" Karmen exclaimed. His voice was nasally like Hiccup's.

While Karmen and Liv talked, Hiccup's eyes wondered around the shop. Everything looked familiar. This shop looked like Berk's old shop when Hiccup was just 15.

"I've been working on Rayne's Birthday gift for a while but I just can't figure it out quite yet. I know I'm doing something wrong," Karmen ran his hand through his hair and looked at the small trinket that lay on the workbench.

Hiccup looked at the little thing. It was a small charm meant for a necklace or bracelet.

"I've been trying to carve her charm all day but I just can't get it right. It always melts before I'm able to cool it," Karmen continued.

"Have you tried lowering the forge?" Hiccup asked. Karmen looked at Hiccup for the first time since they arrived.

"What?" he asked.

"Heat up the metal enough to where you can carve it, then lower the forge so it isn't as hot and make your design," Hiccup said.

"That's... actually not a bad idea," Karmen said. He sat down at his station and began his work.

"By the way, I'm Karmen," he said, turning around and reaching his hand out.

"Chief Hiccup," Hiccup reached out his hand and shook Karmen's hand.

"So you're the lucky man betrothed to my Livvy," Karmen chuckled.

"I thought I told you to stop calling me that!" Liv playful hit Karmen's arm.

Hiccup stifled a laugh, "Livvy?"

"That was my nickname for her when we were little. She loved it then but hates it now," Karmen laughed.

"Don't you get any ideas, Haddock," Liv said.

Hiccup chuckled, "Of course not M'la-" Hiccup stopped. No. Liv was wonderful but that pet name belonged to Astrid and Astrid alone.

"Of course not," Hiccup spoke again, fixing himself.

"Well, we'd better get going," Liv walked over to Hiccup and winked. Luckily her back was facing Karmen so he couldn't see her obvious hint.

"I believe so," Hiccup said. He gestured for Liv to walk in front of him.

~

Hiccup and Liv stood on one of Berk's boats in the middle of the sea. They had been sailing for almost three days now

"I can't believe we're going to see the hidden world!" Liv screamed.

Hiccup chuckled.

"Don't act like you're not excited," Liv said, flicking a hand at him.

"I am beyond ecstatic," Hiccup began, "I just know how to control myself."

The sound of rushing water turned Hiccup to face the front of the boat. In the distance, he could see fog over the ocean.

"We're here," Hiccup said.

The boat moved close until Hiccup thought they couldn't move any closer without being dragged in. Hiccup stood at the front of the boat, scanning for any signs of movement. Liv looked around as well, a bright smile painted on her face.

"Toothless!" Hiccup yelled. "It's me bud! It's Hiccup!"

He continued to look around but found only water and rock.

"I should've known he wouldn't just be waiting out here for the day I decided to come looking for him," Hiccup mumbled.

"It's gonna be ok. You'll see him again another time. Let's go back to New Berk." Liv said. She could see the sadness on Hiccup's face.

Hiccup turned back to Liv, "Ya, let's go home."