TWELVE - Hidden In Plain Sight-

Fattah waited a good while before he returned to the Persian rug that hid his storage space. His hands shook with fear at what he had just done. He had betrayed his Sultan. The one man he was destined to honor in everything he did. Yet he casted it all away for a young girl he did not know.

Shaking his head in sadness, Fattah unlatched the door. As it creaked open the gold adorned head of "Ayla" emerged. Her eyes were raw with tears and her nose red. She sniffled lightly as she smiled sadly.

"I cannot thank you enough Fattah" Haddassa was warmed that he had not turned her over. No doubt he had figured out she was not who she said she was. "It is my honor My Queen." Fattah bowed deeply at the waist, for he was in the presence of his future Queen.

Shaking her head sadly, Haddassa moved away from him. "I am no Queen Fattah. That is not my place."

It was no secret that this young girl obviously did not want the life of a Queen. He could see the deep sadness in her eyes. She was a broken soul, longing to be free. He felt deeply for her. For he too, had the same longings when he was a young boy. Fate was not kind enough to grant him that wish. Sold into the Royal Palace. Fattah was only 8 years of age when his mother sold him to the slave quarters. She fetched a pretty penny for him too. Just enough to buy her own freedom.

It was in this that Fattah had justified his actions to help this girl. He felt she had a chance to live freely, and he would help with what he could.

Walking over to the beauty that was immersed in his scrolls, Fattah was stunned. Did she have a knowledge of the written language?

Before he could speak, she urned towards him. " I know you must alert the Sultan of my whereabouts. I only beg of you that you give me a head start" the urgency in her voice broke Fattah.

Shaking his head he knelt beside her " I will not hand you over child. I will do what I can to protect you. But hear me now, the Sultan is a relentless man. He will not stop looking for you, ever. "

She was relieved to hear this, but knew her chances of not being discovered were slim. If she had any chance, she would have to disguise herself quite well. Her hopes of leaving the palace were non-existent. Aveon would of already locked down the Palace inside and out. She wasn't going anywhere.

That didn't mean however, that she couldn't hide in plain sight. "My dear friend, will you hide me?"

Fattah thought about her question, how would he hide her? Such a maiden could not be hidden for long. Like a light cast under a basket, it will eventually shine through.

"I will do what I can my dear, but I fear I do not know how to hide you"

Haddassa smiled slyly, she knew exactly how. With the right disguise and makeup, she could become another servant, a slave boy. Something the Sultan would never even glimpse at. She knew exactly how to hide in plain sight.

Haddassa stood suddenly, her face set with determination. "I know just how to hide my dear Fattah" she spoke so confidently. Fattah could only follow as the young girl began making her way through the large room, grabbing charcoal and inks, pulling Fattah's clothes from his basket. She would pull together the most unassuming disguise yet. And she'd do it, right under the nose of the Sultan.