Chapter 9 - Akira's Secret

Before putting on her mask, Akira took one last glance at Naruto. He was so fast asleep that he failed to notice that she had one of her kagebunshins act as her substitute.

I'm sorry, Naruto, but I'm not risking your safety. I have to deal with them myself. She silently apologized before walking away from the group.

As she was about to use her transportation technique, a voice put her to a halt. "That kunai and mask. So you really are that Akira, huh?"

The pinkhead flinched in alert, but showed no signs of anxiety. She slowly turned around to glimpse at its source, and her eyes slightly widened. She had pondered about it before, and upon meeting their stern gaze, she finally remembered.

"No wonder you looked familiar. You're Gaara-kun's older sister, right?" she guessed. Temari only glowered at her in reply.

Unaffected, Akira turned away, back on track. "It will only take a while. Go back to sleep."

"You won't be able to reach him this time."

She paused at her statement, azure eyes narrowing in confusion. Temari continued. "He already threw that away after you disappeared without a word."

"It's probably hidden in one of his drawers," she reckoned casually, hiding her distress. "I'll go first and"

"An alarm will break out once you transport there. Your chakra signature is no longer engraved in our village's defense system." Temari quipped, her words were dripping with bitterness.

Akira only sighed in defeat, before facing the blondie. "Listen, Temari-san. I didn't disappear because I wanted to. I was involved in a dimensional accident and―"

"I don't give a damn! You promised you would always be there for Gaara, and you broke it," she spat, annoyed at how nonchalant Akira acted.

"You're not one to speak."

The pinkhead finally lost her cool, and turned to face Temari, their eyes locked into a glaring contest. "It seems like you've grown to care for him. But don't forget that you were the ones responsible for his loneliness."

Silence enveloped the two, until a rustling sound was heard.

"Looks like they're awake. Let's go back." Akira muttered. Their heated argument seemed to have gotten too loud.

Come to think of it, why did she have to leave a replacement kagebunshin? Temari wondered. "They don't know anything, do they?"

"I'll tell them when the right time comes," she simply replied, before disappearing into thin air.

When Temari returned to the group, Sakura, who was doing some stretches, greeted her.

"Where did you go, Temari-san?" she asked in curiosity.

"Just out for a walk," The blondie answered casually, before shifting her gaze at the siblings.

Akira was already back to her original spot, playing with Naruto's hair while he slept soundly on her lap.

Her eyes narrowed in thought. Just what in the world is running through your mind, Uzumaki Akira?

♨️

After 2 more days of travelling, they finally arrived in Suna.

"What?! They got Kankuro too?" Temari bawled in disbelief. Right after entering the village, a disturbing news greeted them, saying that the aforementioned man only had half a day to live. He was apparently poisoned by the enemy.