Chapter 20 - Calm Before The Storm

A gust of wind blew past the quiet street. From an outsider's point of view, it would seem that the two siblings were silently engaged in a staring contest. However, it was a different story inside their consciousness. Naruto's full attention was on Akira as she discussed how she attained the other half of Kyuubi.

"Is that so," he muttered. She noticed a difficult look on his face.

"You look skeptic."

"Well," he paused hesitantly. "Something doesn't seem right to me."

Akira had omitted the parts that involved Minato, thus she had to make an entirely different story for becoming a Jinchuuriki. Did her brother see through her lies?

She tensed while waiting for him to continue. Naruto rubbed his chin and squinted thoughtfully.

"You know, if Kyuubi was divided into two, shouldn't we have four and a half tails each?"

An awkward silence immediately followed.

Akira was left speechless and a drop of sweat rolled down her forehead. On the other hand, the tailed-beast behind her roared with laughter. "Hah! Thank the heavens I got the smarter one!"

Naruto heard a grunt and Kyuubi glared daggers at him from behind the cage. "It doesn't work like that, fool! Our chakra was split in half, not our bodies!"

"Ohhh!" He scratched the back of his head and chuckled sheepishly. "I get it now! My bad."

After a short while, Akira felt a sudden drop in his mood. "To think that you also became a Jinchuuriki," he whispered with downcast eyes. "You're also carrying that burden but I couldn't help or comfort you. I'm sorry, nee-chan."

The pinkhead was taken aback by his words. She always assumed that Naruto would be disappointed, or even angry, at her for choosing to become something that was easily hated by people, but all she received were words of worry.

Ah, how lucky she was to have such a loving brother.

"What are you saying, silly! That was my decision." Akira ruffled his soft hair. It was a mystery how it could have felt so warm when they were not physically touching. "That incident wasn't made known to the public. Only two persons were aware that I became a Jinchuuriki. They were both close to me so I wasn't judged at all."

Naruto was slightly alarmed. Why was his sister speaking in past tense? Was she implying a broken relationship? "...Is Itachi one of them?"

"No. I don't mean it that way." She shook her head and smiled painfully. "Shisui and Sandaime. They're both dead."

Soon, their consciousness returned to the actual world. Akira and Naruto continued to stare at each other for awhile, before they finally headed home. 

Once they had entered the apartment and locked the door, Naruto decided to pursue the earlier conversation. He didn't even finished removing his shoes when he asked, "Am I the only one who knows?"

Akira hummed vaguely as she walked towards the dining room. They would have to be seated if that topic was to be discussed as well. She sighed inwardly. It would be a long night.

"The other Jinchuurikis know it too."

Akira announced once Naruto had taken his seat. His expression was lackluster than she had expected, though. He looked more confused than surprised. Did she not get the message across?

He blinked repeatedly. "Eh, what? How did that happen, ttebayo?"

"I let them know because we're friends," she answered.