Chapter 36

"Lacey."

Just barely, I could make out someone calling my name but I was in bed and comfortable and warm and the pillow had never felt so great so I pulled the covers up closer to my head and went back to bed.

"Lacey."

I squinted my eyes shut tighter as something poked my arm. There was movement on the bed, causing me to jostle slightly but I tried to ignore it. No one was screaming or crying out in pain so it couldn't be an emergency.

Except, that didn't stop the person from poking me even harder in my shoulder. I peeked, opening one eye and keeping the other shut against the pillow as I looked at Travis.

He was hovering next to me on the bed one arm propped on it and the other suspended in the air from just having prodded me. My eyes moved up and down the length of him, as not only was he on top of the covers but he was also already fully dressed. This got me to open both of my eyes.

"What's going on?" I asked, "Oh, are you waiting for breakfast?"

I threw the covers back and started to get up. It was probably rude if I made a big deal about getting everyone breakfast last night only to sleep in and make them wait for it.

"Shh," he said as I stood.
I turned to look at him but stopped when I caught sight of the view outside the window.

"It's still dark outside," I stated. "What time is it?"

Did I sleep through breakfast all the way until dinner or was there something going on this early in the morning?

He climbed out of bed and came to stand in front of me, placing a finger over my lips in a shushing manner with a calm expression on his face.

"Travis what is-" I whispered against his finger.

"Get dressed."

"Is something wrong?" I asked.

Instead of saying anything at first, he just guided me towards the dresser. He pulled out the drawer I had and looked at me expectantly.

"I'm not opposed to dressing you," he said quietly.

Hesitantly, I changed into new clothes. He grabbed his old jacket that I'd dropped lazily in the corner of the room last night and held it out to me on one of his fingers. I eyed him the whole time I put it on, waiting for him to tell me what the heck was going on. I grabbed my phone and noticed it was about five in the morning. When I reached for my knife, Travis' hand latched onto my forearm.

"You don't need that, we're not going far. But I'm glad to see you grabbed your phone for once."

I narrowed my eyes at him and expected to see him walk towards the door but instead, he headed to the window in the room.

He unlocked it and slowly raised it, like he'd practiced it many times.

Once it was up all the way, he grabbed a blanket and crawled through. The house was only a one story house, so he was standing out on the lawn a moment later beckoning me to follow his lead.

I ducked down and shimmied through the window, pausing when I was halfway in the house and halfway on the lawn.

"You know we have a door. We have two," I told him, pulling my other foot through until I was out of the house. "Three, if you count the one in the garage."

"Shut up," he said, grabbing my hand.

We walked to the side of the house and kept going. They didn't have neighbors so that wasn't really an issue. The grass hadn't been cut in quite a while though so I found myself having to take high steps to avoid tripping on the grass or having it snag against my pant legs. It didn't really help, I don't think. While I was trying my best to figure out the best way to walk, my mind obviously hated me because it decided in that moment, while we were walking through the grass at night, to think of the types of things that hid in long grass. Like snakes and probably spiders. If I was being completely honest, I wasn't sure which I was more afraid of. I squeezed Travis' hand tighter.