𝐭𝐞𝐧

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐄𝐍—𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚗𝚐𝚎𝚜, 𝚙𝚊𝚛𝚝 𝚝𝚠𝚘—

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐄𝐍
—𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚗𝚐𝚎𝚜, 𝚙𝚊𝚛𝚝 𝚝𝚠𝚘—

     𝐌𝐀𝐑𝐈𝐀𝐍𝐀 𝐇𝐀𝐃 𝐆𝐎𝐍𝐄 home after leaving Spencer's side, deciding that although she wanted to see Five, it was important that she spent some time with her parents before she did so. The Carson family had all settled down together that afternoon with slices of cherry pie that Peter had made earlier in celebration of the upcoming day, and had watched a movie together before Mariana retreated to her room to fold some clothes and stash them in a backpack. With crossed fingers, she told her father that she already had permission from Five's older brothers to sleep over at the Academy that very night, and that she would return home early in the morning in preparation for the performance. Peter, with understanding eyes, insisted that she stay home a bit longer — until dark, at least. And when the sun finally set in the sky, he had driven her into the city with her small backpack, and dropped her off at the front doors of the Umbrella Academy with a wave, and a forced promise from Mariana that she would call if she needed anything at all.

And now here she was; the raven-haired girl knocks on the barren entrance doors, fully prepared to meet the overjoyed gaze of Five Hargreeves once he opened them. But after attempting again, she found that no one would answer the door — so, of course, she did what any curious teenager would do . . . she opened the unlocked door, and stepped inside without any further thought.

Mariana furrows her eyebrows as she steps into the dimly lit Academy, allowing her backpack to slip from her grasp and fall onto the floor. The girl could hear voices — and although they were distant, she could clearly pick out Five's. Klaus' voice, however, was closer, and came from merely a few rooms away from her. She moves quietly down the hall, wondering what might have made the adoptive Hargreeves family so occupied. Perhaps they were having a family meeting, and she was intruding. But if that were the case, why was Klaus not involved in all the chaos that was going on in the basement?

Once reaching the end of the hallway and stepping into the doorway of Klaus' room, she stands stiffly and gazes upon his frantic actions.

"I'm looking for drugs!" Klaus speaks clearly, as if someone else in the room were talking with him. He groans in annoyance, ripping at the boxes under the bed and digging through them for anything that could drag him from the looming clutch of reality. "I'm done listening to you. Just go away. Go away, please!"

He is hasty when turning to the corner of the room, throwing his arms into the air and glaring at an invisible figure that Mariana couldn't seem to find. Klaus sighs in content as he tugs away at the final cardboard box, pulling a small teddy bear from inside before ripping the fabric apart. "Yeah well, sobriety's overrated," he continues speaking. "Well, where has it gotten me?"