𝐬𝐢𝐱

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐈𝐗—𝚖𝚊𝚗 𝚘𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚖𝚘𝚘𝚗, 𝚙𝚊𝚛𝚝 𝚘𝚗𝚎—

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐈𝐗
—𝚖𝚊𝚗 𝚘𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚖𝚘𝚘𝚗, 𝚙𝚊𝚛𝚝 𝚘𝚗𝚎—

     𝐁𝐘 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐓𝐈𝐌𝐄 the sun had risen the next morning, Mariana was awake; was this an ongoing trend now? The raven-haired girl was beginning to think that sleep was impossible, considering how foreign it had been to her for the past couple of days. She wanted nothing more than to curl up into a ball, and forget all of her troubles as she dwindled into a dream state — but at this particular time, her head was too full to allow her a proper amount of resting time. Instead, it practically begged her to dwell on every problem that she was momentarily having, including her best friend's secret that was now not-so-secret. How was it that she could solve this problem while thinking about how near the end of the world was? The Carson girl could hardly think properly.

Her father was quick to fetch her that morning, a warm smile on his lips as he perched himself on the edge of her bed. Mariana had been staring at the ceiling for a half hour before he had made an appearance. But Peter hadn't looked surprised when he saw that she was awake — instead, he was quite thrilled.

"I've been promoted to a full-time director," Peter tells his daughter hurriedly, his face lighting up; it was as if he, himself couldn't believe the fact that he had achieved such an honor. "Can you believe it? The theater wants me to compose for the orchestra!"

"Goodness, I'm so proud of you!" She says in excitement, pulling her father into her embrace. "And you'll even get to direct the next performance, it's going to be huge! Words can't even describe how happy I am for you."

For the first time in a few days, she had actually received good news — the kind that she could cherish for a while, and think of when her mind wandered to other things. Her father was clearly beyond overjoyed to hear the news, and she could hardly remember a time when he was this happy. Perhaps today she would take a break to celebrate with her family; besides, if the world was going to end, she needed to spend as much time with them as possible. The girl was sure Five would understand, and for now, she decided that seeing Spencer wouldn't be the greatest idea to calm her nerves. Instead, she could wait until tomorrow to talk their current situation over with him.

"You and your mother will have front row seats to the production at Icarus," Peter tells his daughter. "And I managed to get another ticket for Spencer so he can keep you company."

So much for keeping her mind clear.

"I'm not sure if that's such a good idea," Mariana falters as her father pulls away from their hug in disdain. "Spencer and I aren't on the best of terms right now, so maybe it would be better if he doesn't go."

"What happened, sweetheart?" He asks, scanning her features for any giveaway.

"He told me something that I wasn't expecting," she sighs, shaking her head as her gaze falls to her hands that rest in her lap. "I'm not sure how I should've responded, but I just left him. What am I supposed to do?"