𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑—𝚛𝚞𝚗 𝚋𝚘𝚢 𝚛𝚞𝚗, 𝚙𝚊𝚛𝚝 𝚝𝚑𝚛𝚎𝚎—

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑
—𝚛𝚞𝚗 𝚋𝚘𝚢 𝚛𝚞𝚗, 𝚙𝚊𝚛𝚝 𝚝𝚑𝚛𝚎𝚎—

𝐀𝐋𝐓𝐇𝐎𝐔𝐆𝐇 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐑𝐄𝐒𝐓 of her day didn't go as well as she had planned, Mariana was joyed to have spent it with a kind boy and his psychotic brother. The Carson girl was surprised to find that the glass eye Number Five was so infatuated with hadn't been bought, nor manufactured yet, but shrugged it off at the same time — odd things had been happening often in her life lately, and this one just added onto the list. The raven-haired girl simply led Five and Klaus Hargreeves out of the prosthetics building, encouraging them to go get the ice cream that the eldest brother was so enthusiastic about. And while the two of them thought it over, Mariana was stuck in an ultimatum of her own; she could call her father and ask for him to pick her up, or she could find Spencer and spend the night at his home. The latter would surely mean that she had to interrogate the boy on his whereabouts for the day, while also admitting that she had saw him with another . . . or Mariana could say goodbye, and pack up her things that permanently reside in his bedroom. While both options weigh on her shoulders, she slouches as she walks and nervously tugs at her jacket.

"Is there something wrong?" Five notices her change in posture quickly, stopping to look at the shorter girl.

"I have to go home soon," she replies with a small sigh. A frown furrows onto the boy's lips as he realizes that she was right. This single day couldn't last forever — everything had begun to seem like an adventure instead of his absolute responsibility. It would have to come to an end eventually, and then what would he do? Pretend like he didn't know Mariana anymore?

Number Five had already included her in things she didn't need to know, and it would be risky to continue on with her by his side. Yet he so badly aches to have her stay with him forever; even if forever was only a few days longer.

"Oh," Number Five's face falls, before he quickly recollects himself. "You couldn't stay out a little longer?"

"Don't bother," Klaus groans, running his hands down his face as he stumbles to get to them. "She needs to go home sometime, Five. Besides, I know you're looking for company, and why else would I be here?"

"You're not here to be my company," the boy glares in response, turning to look at his brother. "You're here for the twenty bucks I offered earlier, which you certainly aren't getting. You're useless."

"Now that's just disrespectful," Klaus scolds, pointing his finger in accusal. "Don't lie about the whole 'I'm not lonely' thing, because we all know it had to get tough living by yourself for forty years. You're only acting so bitchy because—"

"I wasn't alone." The boy's eyes are no longer focused on Klaus as his voice grows soft, and his eyes find the pavement below their feet. Mariana is confused by his sudden change in emotion, just before her heart plummets. "Her name . . . her name was Delores."