00:05

//Dedicated to @Mararenas for the lovely cover to the side!//

.

Valerie

.

The four walls in my room have been integrated in my head, so much that I believed I could redraw it all, include the unknown dots. For the past two weeks, these four walls have become my own getaway, my own domain and my only escape from what I deemed to be a hell life.

Nothing was the same any more. The house was eerily quiet, the TV unusually toned down to a low hum. What used to be four pairs of footstep sounds around the house was now reduced to two pairs. My parents were the only ones constantly moving around the house, constantly checking up on the person who was residing in the room at the end of the hallway.

There was sometimes another pair of footsteps echoing around the house. And they were always going into that room.

No one bothered me any more. Not like how they did the first few days. My parents paid me less than zero attention. But they worried. They sure did worry about my health and they seemed on edge and prepared for something. Because soon rather than later, I was going to snap. Break into two pieces with no mastered fingers to bring me back to one piece.

There was a crack already and it was visible to every curious eye. It was just a matter of time before I would fall to pieces.

"Luca! Ask Melissa if she wants any food."

My heart hammered inside my chest uncontrollably, confused at the extensive hurt and betrayal it had to go through. How insensitive could my parents be? How could Melissa and Luca both do this to me?

Were they of little knowledge that I was right in this house -  just a few doors down the hallway?

My throat clogged up and I was suddenly fighting nature for air. I needed to breathe. Needed a way out all of this before I was far too gone. Hiding in my room whenever I was home, which I tried not to be most of the time, was getting childish - a quick way out for a coward. 

But if I could just show everyone in this house that I was managing and that I was coping through all things hellish...Then I could restore what little dignity I had.

I picked myself off the floor, winching at the pain that smacked me through my flattened ass. I straightened my back just as I heard another yell. "Melissa!" I heard my Mom's voice run through the house and with my prolonged expertise, I could say she was standing at the bottom of the staircase, with one hand on the wall and the other on the stair handle.

I tried to best to fill my ears, so I was momentarily deaf to everything that was going on. Insensitive pricks.

A sudden knock on my door took me by impulsive surprise. I turned around to face the door, my eyes already tapering to sharp slits. So they did know I was here.

"Valerie." A soft voice came from the other side of the door and I nearly collapsed at the mere sound. How could her voice, even after how long I decided she was nothing to me any more, shatter me.

The door creaked open and I held my breath. Her small blonde head peeked through and her eyes immediately found mine. She searched my face carefully and then she looked dejectedly down at her bare feet.

"Valerie--"

How could your own blood and flesh do this to you? 

"Get out." I said. I praised myself for every goodness and power I held in my voice. I had strength. No matter what they thought. I had my strength.