OI Chapter 26

Friday, October 19, 2012

Thursday night went much like Wednesday night, except for the fact that I slept like the dead until my alarm went off at 6AM Friday morning. I took a long time in the shower, trying to wake up underneath the hot spray. When I got out, I poked at the black shadows underneath my eyes. Doing my best to cover them up, I brushed my hair and pulled it into a ponytail before hightailing it out of the bathroom to finish getting ready. I’m sure my socks were mismatched, but I didn’t really care. The rest of me was just as it normally was; a comfy pair of jeans, an Adidas t-shirt underneath a Seahawk’s sweatshirt and a pair of sneakers on my feet.

Running downstairs, I quickly checked my phone and was thrilled to find that I had a new text message. ’What’s not to like?’ It had been sent really late last night. I smiled faintly when I saw my new background, a picture of Kale grinning at me, with the urban sprawl of Philadelphia behind him. Feelingly mildly childish, I kissed the picture before locking my phone and returning it to my pocket. Galloping down the hallway to Russ’s office, I passed on the idea of scrounging for something for breakfast. Diving into the office chair, I waited the few moments it took for the screen to come to life, before going to my email. My foot bounced on the floor as I scanned the screen, getting rid of junk mail before opening the newest email from Kale.

From: Kale Scott

Subject: A New Ritual

Date: October 18 2012

To: Calla Bouchard

I can’t wait to be home! I know I wished you sweet dreams less than an hour ago, but already I can’t wait to talk to you again. It seems that emailing you before bed will be my newest road ritual. You sounded tired; I hope you’re getting enough sleep? Don’t worry about falling asleep during the Philly game. The last half was scoreless and frustrating, they won 1-2. I know you watched tonight’s game and you’ll be happy to know that shameless begging goes a long way. Emmerton got a good laugh at my expense when I asked him to autograph the jersey I bought for you; coincidentally it’s a Detroit Red Wing #25 jersey. ;) You can thank me properly when I get home. Its late babe and I have one more stop before I can rest for a couple of days; I have a couple hours tomorrow morning to go sight seeing before our flight to Edmonton in the afternoon. I’ll call you tomorrow night around seven as long as your brother doesn’t get it into his head to drag me off to a bar or worse, a nightclub.

Sweet dreams!

-KRS

I pumped my fist into the air and crowed as I read the section about the autographed Cory Emmerton jersey. My stomach did a cartwheel and my heart felt like it was going to burst, knowing that my man had suffered a little humiliation and probably a lot of good natured ribbing, to do something to make me happy. Oh yeah, I was head over heels in love. A huge smile lit my face and my fingers raced over the keys in my hurry to respond before I literally had to run out the door.

From: Calla Bouchard

Subject: Re: A New Ritual

Date: October 19 2012

To: Kale Scott

I can’t wait for you to be home either and I know what you mean. The instant I have to disconnect the phone I feel lonely. It’s weird not having Russ around making noise; the house almost seems too quiet. I miss your sounds too. I have to strain my ears to hear them, since you’re like a ninja sometimes. And yes, I’m getting enough sleep. I went directly to bed when I finished talking to you last night and got a solid ten hours. In fact, it seems like all I want to do lately is sleep. I blame you for that though, you really wore me out last weekend, but I can’t wait to do it again! ;) I’m sorry you lost against the Flyers, but I bet the next time you play them the Pillagers will crush them! OMG!!!! You got the… You had him sign… I cannot believe it! You are the BEST and I will gladly thank you when you get home! Although, how am I going to wear the jersey if he signed it? That’s a conundrum, although it still doesn’t diminish your greatness at this moment. You’ve made my day and it’s barely started. I wish you were here right now; I’d kiss you until your eyes crossed. Rest up today and have fun checking out the sights in Detroit, take more pictures if you think about it.