OI Chapter 13

I think that I set a new land speed record as I dashed up the stairs, my phone still clenched in my fist. If I hadn’t managed to place in the land speed record, I surely managed the fastest recorded shower and leg shave in history. Stepping out of the shower, I brushed my teeth and gargled, slapped some antiperspirant under both armpits and dashed into my bedroom. I simultaneously applied my favourite lotion and dug through my clothes. I picked my best bra and panty set out of my underwear drawer and began to despair as I rooted through my closet in search of something other than my normal jeans. With a groan, I finally grabbed the pair of jeans that I’d bought just before I’d left Minnesota at Jules’ prompting. They were tighter than my usual, hugging my hips and moulding to my butt. I had the same moment of utter hopelessness as I furiously dug through my t-shirts and sweatshirts. Did I really own nothing but sports jerseys and baggy hoodies?

Knowing that precious time was ticking away, I finally pulled on a soft apple green form fitting tank top. It felt a bit on the tight side, but I just pushed the thought away because it wasn’t as loose as the tops I normally wore. It had itty bitty straps and the lace just barely covered the top of my bra. I slipped my arms into a zip up sweatshirt that was black and had the word ‘Juicy’ bedazzled across my boobs, I turned to check myself out in the mirror. I arranged my hair, quickly pulled on a pair of clean ankle socks and jetted out of my room and back to my bathroom. I dressed my eyelashes in their customary coat of mascara, painted my lips with a soft pink lip gloss and paused to push my hair behind one bare ear. Digging into a seldom used drawer, I pulled out a pair of simple diamond stud earrings and quickly fit them into place.

Taking a deep breath, I studied my reflection and thought, not too shabby! Grabbing my phone and stuffing it into my sweatshirt pocket, I dreamily bounded down the stairs. In the kitchen I decided to scrawl Russ a note, just in case he actually beat me home, that is, if he came home at all. ‘Went to a movie with Quinn, be home late. -C’ Then I went and dug through the hall closet until I found the one pair of sexy shoes I owned. Okay, maybe they weren’t that sexy, but they made me feel sexy and that was what counted, right? They were just a pair of heeled black boots. The heels were a little chunky, but they had the desired affect that a woman seeks when she puts on a pair of the torture devices. My body arched, my breasts thrust out proudly and I felt more confident than I had before I’d slipped my feet into them.

I stood staring at the front door for a moment, unable to decide if it would seem like I was too anxious if I waited out front for him on the walk. The clack of my heels on the floor echoed in the room as I paced nervously back and forth, still making no headway in the decision to wait for him to knock or meet him outside. As motorists passed the house, I tensed and stilled every time I heard an engine draw close. I was so wound up; I could hardly stand still for a moment before my body was unconsciously moving on its own to dispel nervous energy. I was literally jiggling in place.

It was finally going to happen! I’d fantasized about this from the first moment I laid eyes on Kale; I’d never imagined that he’d, that we’d, well that we’d end up together. I’d just chalked it up to a gigantic crush that nothing would ever come of. My wildest dreams couldn’t even begin to compare to the anticipation that was rushing through my veins with every frenzied beat of my heart. Finally something to sate the ache inside me that throbbed with painful pleasure every time I thought of him saw him or heard the sound of his voice. So lost in the images my mind was coming up with, I didn’t hear Kale pull up on his motorcycle and I started with surprise at his knock on the door.

Something in me just sort of snapped into place, a piece that I hadn’t seen nor heard from in a long time. I sauntered the ten or so feet to the door and casually opened it, leaning against the edge to gaze hungrily up at Kale. He was dressed in a pair of black boots, dark jeans and a ribbon of maroon peeked from beneath his leather jacket. His gorgeous face had a dangerous quality to it that I’d seen a glimpse of last night and for just a second I felt a little intimidated by the lust that darkened his eyes, but then he grinned and all thoughts scattered with my good sense. My inner temptress saucily smiled up at him and I saw his nostrils flare a little, before he was tugging me out the door and locking it behind me.