OI Chapter 20

He’d scored his first NHL goal! In fact, he’d joined the NHL history books by scoring three. Only three or four rookies in NHL history had managed to do that! The last one that I could think of was Derek Stepan back in 2010. Sitting up in my seat in the skybox, I was floored. My face was flushed with pride and my cheeks were beginning to hurt from smiling. The game had been amazing! The Pillagers rove around on the ice below, celebrating the 3-2 win over the Columbus Blue Jackets. My cheeks cranked another notch tighter as my grin grew larger; Kale had scored the only three goals, not to mention the game winning one with 18 seconds left in the final period.

It was stupid, to feel this goofy happy for Kale, but I couldn’t help it. The skybox was emptying out, but I guess I didn’t really see the hurry. I knew how this worked; the guys would have to cool down, shower, give interviews if they were so inclined, and maybe even have some words with either the coaching staff or the coach himself. Besides, I wasn’t like the rest of the women; I couldn’t just go out to the parking lot and get in my car and drive home, or wherever. I figured on the outside, I’d probably have to kill another hour or so before Kale would come find me, but it could be longer. A hat trick, he’d scored a hat trick in his first game, I giggled. Hats still littered the ice. Feeling delightfully impish, I pulled my cell out of my pocket and typed out another quick text message to Kale. ‘I don’t know what ur plans are 4 l8r, but I think u have another goal 2 score.”

“Hey Calla, are you riding home with Russ,” LuAnn asked me. While I’d been in LALA land, she’d gathered her purse and jacket. I felt my grin return full force. I shook my head.

“Nah, Russ always goes out to celebrate a win. I’ll get a ride home with Kale,” I respond, hoping that a ride wasn’t the only thing I was going to get.

“Oh yeah, that’s right, he’s good friends with your brother, isn’t he,” LuAnn murmured.

I nodded my head, “Yeah, since high school I think.”

LuAnn regarded me curiously and looked like she was about to ask me another question when one of the evil blonde twins poked her head back through the skybox door and whined, “Come on LuAnn, we’re all ready to go and you drove!” I think it was Holly, but I wasn’t certain which was which, and her gaze caught mine before flinching away. I felt my eyebrow rise and I nearly choked on a laugh as LuAnn rolled her eyes and shouted back, “Hold your shorts on, can’t you see I’m talking here?”

Holly’s head disappeared and LuAnn’s attention turned back to me, her smile soft when she said, “I have to run, sober cab you know, it was great meeting you Calla! See you at the next home game?”

“Nice meeting you too LuAnn, I’ll be here if I can find a ride,” I skirted vaguely. Her eyes widened and her mouth dropped open.

“LUANN MOVE YOUR ASS, I WANT TO GO,” bellowed Cara from the hallway. LuAnn sends me an apologetic wave and trots out the door, hollering back, “What the hells the matter with you? Pull your head out of your ass and untwist your panties.” I can’t hear how Cara responds and the next I hear, more faintly now, is LuAnn telling her, “Fuck you too! Next time you can drive your damn self! Oh yeah, that’s right, you got tits for brains and got your license revoked!” I couldn’t help it, I laughed, loudly and I didn’t care who heard me.

-_-

After the skybox had emptied out and the echoing arena music cut off, I finally managed to make a bit of headway with Mr. Hemingway while I waited for Kale. Sure, it was probably only a chapter and I’d probably be hard pressed to remember what happened in that chapter, but it was less work I’d have to do come Sunday. Staring at the cover of The Sun Also Rises, I was not impressed with the story so far. Call me crazy, but I just had this feeling that the more I read the more disappointing I’d find the story. Closing the book, feeling that its characters were sucking my good mood away, I stashed it back in my bag and pushed to my feet. The last of the fans were straggling into tunnels, heading for the parking lot, but I really didn’t pay them much attention. Instead, I was staring down at the ice.