4: In Which She Lives in the Moment

*****************************************

“Mrs. Harrington?”

I poked my head out from under the covers.

“What?” I mumbled, wincing in the sunlight. The curtains had been pulled apart and the sunlight that poured in was near blinding.

“Mr. Harrington told me to tell you that he does not want to be disturbed this morning. He is in his study,” Holly recited, standing patiently at my bedside. “May I bring you breakfast in bed?”

“I won’t disturb him,” I muttered irritably, sitting up and yawning. “And yes, that would be great.”

Holly nodded and turned on her heel, humming to herself. She really was a doll and I had no idea what I would’ve done without her.

Smiling, I went to the bathroom, splashing water on my face and brushing my teeth. The broken shower caught my eye, and I couldn’t help the burst of energy that fizzed through my entire body. This shower was a reminder.

A reminder of the day before.

“Malfunction in the bathroom,” I’d simply told Jack when he finally reappeared late in the afternoon, half-hearted apologies on his lips. “I’m taking care of it.”

“Well, this is an old house,” he’d responded. “You called Archibald?”

“Mm-hmm.”

“All right.”

And that was that. Jack didn’t particularly mind taking a bath in the large claw-foot tub. It wasn’t like it was torture.

In fact, I needed a bath myself. What happened yesterday had confused me. I’d expected to be guilt-ridden; absolutely disgusted and disappointed by the way I’d behaved. Getting head was considered cheating, no matter how hard I tried to convince myself otherwise. I spent the whole evening wondering if Jack was going to notice, whether he was going to see that this woman – well – this woman had had her pússy eaten, and it was not by him.

But he didn’t.

He barely came near me, save for a chaste peck on the forehead before bed and promises to spend time with me the next day. And, for the first time in a long time, I was completely fine with that. Hell, I even preferred it that way.

Completely nude after a quick bath, I left the bathroom to find a tray of English breakfast set on the nightstand with my birth control. My stomach rumbled in anticipation. Holly was gorgeous.

It was while stuffing my face with bacon-on-toast that Jack came in, dressed in a blue shirt and khaki slacks, an anxious expression on his face. “What are you doing?” he asked, looking me up and down.

“Building a tree-house? What does it look like?”

“Don’t get cute. Didn’t you say Parker’s coming to fix the bathroom early this morning? What if he walks in and finds you stark-naked?”

“Then I’ll make his day.” I rolled my eyes up at him. “What’s up with you?”

“I’ve got a bit of work to do.” He rummaged through one suitcase until he located a handful of khaki envelopes. “Please don’t disturb me,” he said, looking up.

“I wouldn’t fucking dream of it,” I fumed. Why was he treating me like a child? Scratch that, why did I let him?

Because he’s Jack and he was your first and you desperately want this to work despite everything.