Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Peggy’s P.O.V.

I was sitting on my bed humming along with George Strait. My voice sounded a little rusty from not being used regularly. Sighing, I slide off the bed.  I glance at the clock. The guys will be home soon and I need to have dinner ready for them. They love me, but I keep a horrible secret hidden from the. Ever since Mom and Dad were killed in a rouge attack, my pack has hated me. Whenever my brothers aren’t around, they start to bully and abuse me. But whenever one or all of them are within hearing range, their attitudes do a one-sixty. But my pack members are smart. They make sure the bruises they leave on me will be hidden by my clothes. They wouldn’t want my brothers to find out that they don’t approve of me.

I quickly make my way to the kitchen. Opening the oven door, I check on the roast. Taking a deep breath, I hear my stomach rumble. I pull the roast out and slide it onto the stove. Then I take out three bowls and glasses. I remove a pitcher of freshly made lemonade from the fridge. I fill glasses to the brim and sit them on the table. Next, I fill the bowls with savory roast and place them next to the three glasses. Hearing the front door open, I quickly make my way to Travis’s room. If they didn’t see me, then they wouldn’t make me try to eat anything.

I take my time, making sure I get all their dirty clothes. With a huge pile in my arms, I step into the laundry room. Picking out the coloreds, I soon have a load in the washer. Turning on the water, I quickly add the detergent. Nodding to myself, I turn around. Seeing Travis in the doorway scared me. I gasped softly. He gives me a smile filled with brotherly love, but I don’t return it. Don’t get me wrong, I love my brothers. However, they can be pushy.

“Sis, you know you don’t have to wash our clothes. We’d get around to them eventually.” He tells me, trying to get me to speak. He steps closer to me, but I keep my eyes trained on the floor. At times, when one is speaking with their alpha, it is a sign of respect. But when said alpha is your brother, it can mean disrespect, or disinterest. I just don’t want him seeing the hurt and pain that’s constantly in my eyes. “Baby girl,” he tries again, this time using the nickname dad gave me. Of course made me want to just sit down and bawl my eyes out. “When are you going to speak to us? Jim, Will and I would love to have that spunky, sassy, and loving little sister back. We’re starting to get worried about you kido.” His voice is swirling with hurt and love. I feel my heart break just a little.

I hear Jim and Will walk up behind Travis. I look up at them. Both flash me sad puppy dog eyes, begging me to talk, if only just one word. I shake my head and shrug. They hate when I do that. I step around them to go up to my room when Jim grabs my arm. Turning to look back at them, they smile at me. “We love you sis. We would give our right arms just to make you happy again.” A tear slips from my eyes and I wipe it away. I nod, letting them know I understood.

Running up the stairs to my room, I jump onto my bed. Lying on my back, I watch the fan spin around and around. I know that tomorrow they’re planning to throw me a “secret surprise” birthday party. What they don’t realize is that loud werewolf voices carry, especially in a very empty house. They started planning it last month. But I haven’t let on that I know. It would crush their hearts, and I can’t bear to hurt them.

Thinking about the party bums me out. I hate being the center of attention. I would have preferred a little private family party, just the four of us either here at home or just going out to eat. Curling into a tight ball, I close my eyes and drift off to sleep. Anything is better right now than being awake.