One

1977

The summer of 1977 changed a group of lives forever. Liam Kennedy, being the centre of it all. A young Protestant boy from London, England. Freshly out of school and ready to party for the coming months until he left for university. But, like always in life, things don't go according to plan.
You see, Liam attended a party, hosted by a friend of his, someone he'd had an on again off again friendship with over the past 13 years. And this friend had another friend, Elsie, 20 years old, and already a mother to two year old Dylan.

Elsie and Liam met for the first time that night. Both of them struck up a conversation after being brought together by Elsie asking for a fag, which Liam gladly gave to her. They chatted for a short while, and consumed an ungodly amount of alcohol. The chatting quickly escalated to the two of them in bed together.

They lay beside each other, looking deep into one another's eyes. Not saying a word. The silence was broken by a couple of guys, staggering into the room. "Ay!" One of them cheered. "Liam's getting it on!"
"Fuck off!" Liam nodded at his pals.
"Our lad is growing up!" The other one hiccuped.
"Get out!" Liam slid his boxers back on before shoving his pals out the door. He turned back to Elsie who held the duvet over her body. "Sorry about them."
"It's fine. I need to go anyway."
"What's your name?"
"Isn't it too weird now?" Elsie asked.
"Maybe. But I want to know."
"Elsie. Jameson."
"I'm Liam Kennedy. Nice to meet you."
"Well Liam, like I said, I need to go. I've got a son to get back too. And my sister won't be staying with him all night."
"You have a son?" Liam queried, sitting on the bed.
"Yes. He's two."
"How old are you? If you don't mind me asking?"
"I'm 20. I don't know Dylan's dad, and I don't think I ever will. Like I said, better be leaving."
"Can I at least walk you home?"
"Uh..." Elsie hesitated. "Sure."

The got their clothes back on, but not without great difficulty due to the vodka.

Elsie and Liam had no further contact until a month and a half later, when Elsie appeared on Liam's doorstep, looking panicked. His mother answered. Elsie explained that she urgently needed to speak to Liam about something private. Liam's mother felt it was best not to pry.
"Liam, I'm pregnant." Elsie blurted out. Liam, who had just made it to the front door, looked at her, confused.
"Wait, who are you?" He asked.
"Elsie. From the party!"
"Oh shit, how are you?"
"Not great!"
"Shit. Oh fuck."
"Exactly! And it's your baby."
"Are you sure?"
"Excuse me? What do you take me for?!" Elsie snapped.
"No, no! I meant, are you sure you're pregnant?"
"My period is late. Everyday for three weeks I've been throwing up. I took five tests yesterday and two today, all positive."
"Fuck." Liam sat down on the doorstep. "What are you going to do?"
"Me? This is our mess. You're not leaving me to deal with this alone. Again."
"Do you want to keep it?"
"I suppose. I could never get an abortion. I was about to go through with it for Dylan, but I couldn't. And I'm glad I didn't."
"My folks are going to kill me."

1 month later

His folks didn't kill him. But they did send him to his aunt and uncle's farm in Derry, or Londonderry. His parents disapproved of his actions. He was forced to explain to Elsie that him leaving, wasn't his choice. That he wanted to stay for her, for Dylan, and their baby. Deep down however, he was glad. Glad that he no longer had a such great responsibility on his shoulders. Was he pissed that he might never meet his child? Sure. But his new freedom was a better feeling. A second chance at life.

1978
Did Liam learn from his mistakes? Absolutely not. He fell back into his old ways of partying, sneaking out, having sex and doing the occasional drug. At the end of '77, Liam met a girl named Sarah. A Catholic student in her last year of secondary school. A pretty, slender young lady with long brown hair and green eyes. The two began a relationship shortly after meeting. Sarah's father, Joe, had his doubts, purely because Liam was English. But neither Sarah or Liam thought it was appropriate to tell their families they were dating someone of a different religion.