The Unwritten XV - The Scientists

"I found Artelect quite…" Miuccia searched for the proper word, “…brilliant, obviously and…charming." She looked down, slightly embarrassed, then noticed Cotanrz staring at a FluR with a frightened look on his face. She watched him closely once she realized he wasn't paying any attention to what she had said.

He finally noticed her attention. He realized her annoyance but simply ignored it, not knowing what it meant. He also realized she was at first confused, then curious to his reaction at what he was seeing. So he smiled at her, then turned back to the screen.

"Can you see it? There. It's...oh no. It's...." Now she did see it. She focused on what he was staring at, then scanned the other screens, finally putting it all together. It hit her squarely in her mind as she began to understand his reaction, and his fear.

“Feedback loop?" She stared at the screen intently.

"Exactly.” He looked at her. “We'll be safe, there is no danger to us. However, can we stop it? Can we?"

"Well, maybe. I really don't know."

"Maybe." They both looked at one another in stunned silence, both realizing that this could mean there was nothing they could do to stop the crack in Hell from opening once again. It would then continue to open and close in a cycle. The resonance they had set up, wasn't gone after all as they had at first thought.

Artelect had put them on the right track. Now they could see what it was they needed to see, but there was nothing they could do to stop it. They looked at one another for a moment, both reading each other’s thoughts. Cotanrz indicated specific areas on several of the FluRs and she understood exactly what he was indicating.

They had a lot of work to do, if they were to have any chance of saving the integrity of their universe and that of another.