1

7 years

7 years. 7 years was what it took to feel happy, accomplished, and somewhat useful. Your cheeks were hurting because of the smile that stuck itself across your face. 7 years of studying for your doctorate in psychology. It wasn't the easiest and stressed you out, but as you stared at the degree that lay in your palms, you felt relief wash over your body. The stress and hard work paid off. 

A slight warmth on your shoulder snapped you out of your trance, making you turn around to see Yoongi with a smile playing on his lips. "Are you happy now?" He asked, making you stare back at your degree to smile wider as you gave him a small nod. "Mom and dad and waiting, do you want to go back and speak to them?" He asked as you looked him in his small eyes.

"Yeah, let's go." You said, holding your brother's hand and walking back into your mansion. You had just come back home from receiving your long-awaited degree, and now had some time to rest before you could finally tell your parents about what you wanted to do in life. Sure your past years were tough, but you always made time to think about what you wanted to pursue.

Now that it was all crystal clear to you, you didn't want to waste time acting upon what you had yet to achieve for yourself. "Y/N, how are you feeling?" your mother questioned as you walked into your dining room with your brother following behind you. "I don't even know how to explain it, mother." You said, not letting your smile drop in the slightest as you sat down in front of your parents.

"I'm so proud of you Y/N, you finally got what you wanted." Your mother started as she prepped herself to start eating. Your face dulled as you heard her. This was just half of what you wanted, your dreams to continue working on psychology were still waiting for your efforts. Your journey was still incomplete, but explaining it to your parents was another battle on its own. 

Your family wasn't the typical happy one, that one would expect. Money-minded and somewhat caring parents were what you had. It had taken you a lot of work and tears, to talk your parents into letting you study. They wanted you to take up the business, for the money of course. But your interest was far more important than the money your parents were after, so you forced them into letting you study. Your degree was not the end of it, at least not for you. 

"So, Y/N..." Your dad spoke. "Yes father?" you knew exactly where this conversation was headed, of course, he had to bring up taking over the company right now. "I need you and Yoongi to start discussing the shareholdings of our company," he said. You turned your head to look at Yoongi, his face held no expression as he poked around the food in front of him. You knew this was not what he wanted. 

Your brother Yoongi was never one to rebel against your parents' decision. Sure he was being respectful towards them, but at times you wondered why he never just told them about his interests, his passion. His love for music. "When will you be free?" You turned back to face your dad as his eyebrows scrunched in. "Anytime you want me to I guess." You said diverting yourself away from his gaze, knowing well, that this conversation was going to belong.