Extended Summary

I looked at him as a friend until I realized I loved him.

══════════ ◦◦◦❃◦◦◦ ══════════

FAMILY MEANT EVERYTHING TO LUNA REYES.

"Blood is thicker than water" was her family's mantra. It was a phrase that had been drilled into Luna since the moment she could understand it, and it was something she held very close to her heart. Nothing came between her and her family - that was something she made sure of.

Well, except maybe Miles Morales.

Miles and Luna had been friends since they were very little. They had been there for each other throughout their lives, and they always had each other's backs. And, to top it off, they were alike in many ways, including their interests and personalities (though Luna always claimed to be a little more gangster than Miles).

However, despite their similarities, their families couldn't be more different. Miles' father was a cop, and his mother was a nurse. But Luna's father was affiliated with a gang, and her mother - a highly respected mechanic - used her autoshop as a safe house for fleeing gang members. Miles' father had been after Luna's parents for years, and even though Luna knew of it, she never told Miles who they really were in order to keep them safe.

Miles himself had a huge secret as well - a secret he had kept from Luna for four years. Miles had finally gotten the hang of being Spider-Man, but he knew that if Luna found out, it could put her in danger - especially after he discovers that the infamous and deadly Kingpin escaped from prison.

Shortly after this discovery, Miles discovers that the Reyes family - more specifically Luna - has become a target of Kingpin's attention. It turns out that Luna harbors a rare but powerful power - a power she has yet to understand or control. And Kingpin (along with his new ally, Mister Negative) wants that power for himself. So it's up to Miles to stop them and keep his best friend safe. 

However, both Luna and Miles soon find themselves trapped in a complicated web of problems, including a forbidden love, Luna's powers, and an existential crisis that leads Luna to question the future she'd planned for herself. And with tragedy and despair suddenly striking left and right, as time goes by Miles' secret becomes harder and harder to keep, and the line between Luna's family and her relationship with Miles becomes more and more blurred.

In the end, Luna might have to choose which of the two is worth keeping: the family she loves, or the boy she fell in love with.

══════════ ◦◦◦❃◦◦◦ ══════════

- warning -
This book contains strong language, mild misogyny/sexism, mild racism, fantasy action violence, and possible triggers (anxiety, depression, death, etc.)