8 - Red Light

[Kin, Raleigh, and Cyran by jmnm on DeviantArt]

------------

Kin's feet touched the well-worn wooden floor, and he stretched his back before finding his pants in the dim light. The woman, whose name he hadn't remembered after she first told him, crossed her robe over her chest. The soft fabric swirled around her tan legs as she turned toward him. Kin didn't see her face; he found it hard to look away from the short hem of her robe. Such beautiful legs had to be admired.

"Are you really a priest?" she asked in a hesitant islander accent.

His gaze lifted to her eyes though the curve of her breast was far more interesting, and he adjusted the silver cross chain on his bare chest. "Not anymore. Not in a long time."

She seemed relieved, sighing and relaxing her shoulders. As if him not being a priest would somehow save her soul.

"Come here," he told her. He liked prostitutes; he didn't have to waste time flirting to get them to do what he wanted. Once she was in reach, he grabbed the front of her robe and pulled her lips to his, tasting the liquor on her tongue. His fingers traced her thigh and yanked her robe open again.

In his mind, she transformed. Her white curls straightened and lengthened into dark pink locks hanging past her shoulders. The sharp angles of her face softened and rounded. Soon he imagined Meira in his arms like he'd done far too many times before.

The woman's moans interrupted the illusion, but when Meira's face disappeared as he pulled away, Kin felt no sense of loss. Was ten years all it took to become numb to that pain?

He kept his hand between her legs as he kissed her one last time. Kin didn't expect the flash of lavender that came to mind and he gripped her hair, and the shock was enough to make him release her. She frowned for a moment at his reaction before picking up where she left off. Her experienced hands slid down the front of his chest. "Something wrong, sweetheart?"

Kin shook his head, forgetting about Nell. She wasn't important just then; he had bigger worries. "I just have somewhere I need to be." He gripped her hands to prevent her from getting him too worked up.

Since the events earlier that afternoon, Kin couldn't stop thinking about the church and monastery where that mother said her nephew had gone. It wasn't the first time he'd heard odd rumors surrounding the church, and now that he'd had time to relax, he wanted to investigate. 

Kin pulled his shirt over his perpetually messy hair that was only made worse after the events of that evening. He smiled just a little at the memory of her fingers pulling on his hair, and it tempted him to push her back to the bed. He glanced over at where the woman was about to tie her robe again and pulled the belt from her hand. "Leave it," he demanded. "I like to see what I'm paying for."

With a flirtatious grin, she lounged on the mattress, leaving her breasts and long legs on perfect display. The longer he stood there, the harder it became to walk away.

He almost wished he'd remembered her name so he's have something to refer to her by. "Can I ask you a question?"

"You've been doing whatever you want to do so far; why stop now?"

Sounds of pleasure echoed into the room from the thin walls as a bit of guilt crept into Kin's mind. No matter how many brothels he visited, it always left him guilty, a little echo of his past life. He tried to shake the feeling off, focusing instead on his investigation.  "Are there a lot of demon possessions in this city?" Kin asked the woman.

"Far too many." She tried to close her robe again, but a stern look stopped her. An exasperated sigh left her lips. "It's hard to have a serious conversation when you're staring at me like that."