25 - Midnight Blue

Lyra laughed as Kin threw himself on the ground at her feet. His breath came to him in short gasps of air, and a muscle pinched his side. Despite that, the sound of her laugh almost gave him enough second wind to keep running.

"You can't possibly be tired already," she teased. Though they'd sprinted for miles, going faster than Kin even thought he could run, Lyra still bounced on her toes like she was anxious to go faster.

Kin shook his head and tried to swallow, but his throat was dry from panting. He couldn't remember the last time he'd pushed himself this far – though he suspected it had been with Lyra.

"You're insane." He pushed his sweaty bangs up out of his eyes. "I'm not twenty anymore, you know."

"What does that have to do with it?" She laughed again, and it made his body ach for a different reason. Lyra leapt, not giving him any time to brace himself before she landed on his chest. Her legs straddled him, and her short bangs mixed with the sweat on his forehead. "Don't tell me you're aging faster than I am."

His breath which had just evened out, now caught in his throat. "Lyra, I think you could outrun time itself if you tried."

The taste of her lips was better than a cool drink of water. Her tongue stirred him, and her kiss breathed life back into him. She moved slow, teasing his skin with her fingers and taunting him with feather light touches as her body hovered over his. In seconds that passed like hours, she mesmerized him until she had him completely under her spell. He clung to her every movement, fingers digging into the ground, willing himself to wait.

A breeze cut between them, cooling his damp skin and easing some of the mounting tension in his chest. Lyra lifted her head, and her hands unwound themselves from his hair. The blue of her eyes was all he could see, and the absence of her touch left him longing.

Her breath mixed with his own. "I hope I didn't tire you out too much."

"Not yet." His voice resonated deep within his chest. "But I'm sure you will."

At the sight of her smile, Kin broke. He grabbed her. Their bodies collided in a boom of thunder, and a wave of electricity shot through him. The exhaustion he felt moments before was gone, replaced with a desperate craving for her. He muffled her laugh with his mouth. His tongue urged her, and his hands pulled at any scraps of fabric he could find still clinging to her body. Pulling her vest over her head freed her hair from her ponytail. Short locks of midnight blue tumbled over her neck and across his face.

Lyra slipped through his fingers like a zephyr, and she offered a hand to help him up. He was swept to his feet. His shirt was off before he could get his balance, and Lyra paused at the fresh, raised scars that crossed over his chest. "What-?"

Her moment of hesitation was enough for Kin to catch up with her. He pushed her, pinning her body to a tree with his own to keep her from getting away again. But it didn't work. She was wind, and like a draft, she could slip through even the smallest crack in his hold on her.

Lyra appeared again behind him. She slid her arms around his torso. Her fingers traced his scars as she kissed along his back.

Kin rested his forehead against the tree where hers once was. He sighed. "I'm fine, Lyra."

Her hands slid down his chest. "It's kind of sexy."

A moan escaped his throat. He grabbed one of her wrists and turned around to kiss her again. Lyra didn't break away. She clung to him as he did her, and they lost themselves in a building storm of passion and limbs.