Lost

🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹

Shiloh shut the door behind herself and locked it before walking past Jacob to the kitchen. Dani whistled under her breath and shook her head at her brother as she gathered her books up.

"I don't know what you did, but mom is pissed. I'm going to bed." She turned to her mom and nodded toward the hallway. "Want me to check on dad before I turn in?"

Shiloh nodded and kissed Dani on the cheek. "Yeah, thanks, baby. Goodnight." When Dani walked out of the room, Shiloh pointed to a chair at the table. "Sit." Jacob sighed and pulled the chair out, slumping into it as his mom leaned on the chair opposite him. "What part of the conversation we had about you being home on school nights did you not understand?"

Jacob shrugged. "I didn't think it was a big deal. I didn't have homework and I was going to be home before dark."

Shiloh shook her head. "That wasn't what we agreed on."

"So you thought embarrassing me in front of everyone made sense?"

Shiloh snorted as she sat down. "Yeah, because you were the one talked to like you were a whore, right?"

Jacob sighed. "Jax just doesn't know you."

Shiloh raised a brow at that. "Well, good, because I can only imagine what he would have said if he did. When did you start working there?"

Jacob shrugged. "A couple of weeks ago. You wanted me to get a job."

"Yeah, but I didn't think it would be with the local motorcycle club."

Jacob groaned. "Mom, the guys are cool. You just don't know them like I do."

"Otto is a Son, or did you forget?"

Jacob shook his head and grinned. "Shit, Otto's a legend."

Shiloh shook her head. "Honey, I just don't want you to get into something that you can't get out of."

Jacob leaned forward and rested his forearms on the table. "Jax said that I could prospect as soon as I can get a bike."

Shiloh rubbed her neck and shook her head as she heard the monitors in Steven's room go off. She stood up to walk out before leaning over and kissing Jacob on the forehead.

"We'll discuss that later. I need to check on your father."

Jacob nodded and stood up to follow her out. "You need help?"

Shiloh shook her head. "Nah, I got him."

Jacob grinned and saluted her as he passed her in the hallway. "Okay, mom. Goodnight."

Shiloh opened the bedroom door as she smiled at him. "Goodnight, baby."

_________________________________________

The next morning, Shiloh sat at a Steven's bedside as Dr. Weaver stood on the other side. He shook his head as he stared down at the man in the bed.

"Shiloh, he's not responding to the antibiotics this time. This infection is running rampant through his system."

Shiloh frowned. "What does that mean?"

The doctor sighed. "It means that I need to call Steven's parents. His organs are shutting down. There's nothing more I can do for him."

Shiloh took a deep breath before letting it out and nodding. "If you're sure."

Dr. Weaver nodded and gave her a small smile. "I am. Let me go do that. You might want to left the kids know so they can have some time with their dad."

Shiloh nodded as she got up and followed the doctor out of the bedroom. As the doctor stepped outside to make his phone call, Shiloh found Dani in the kitchen chopping tomatoes for a salad.

"Dani, can you call TM and tell Jacob that I need him home? I need to talk to both of you."

Dani reached into her back pocket for her phone. "Sure, mom."

Shiloh nodded before moving back down the hallway and stepping into Steven's room. She stepped up to the bed and shook her head as she moved a lock of hair from his forehead.

"I was so angry with you for so long, Steven. I thought we were happy and that we'd be together forever, but that's wasn't to be, was it?" She sighed. "The kids look so much like you. I wish you could have met them, been a father." She blinked back tears as she took his lifeless hand in hers. "I realized a long time ago that you must have been so unhappy and I never saw it, not until it was too late." She leaned over and kissed him on the cheek. "You'll be able to rest soon."

She stood there for a while until someone knocked on the door. She looked up to see the twins standing there and motioned for them to come into the room.

"Your dad has an infection that the doctors can't heal."

Jacob nodded as Dani spoke for both of them. "Is he dying?"

Shiloh nodded. "His organs are shutting down. The doctor has gone to call your grandparents."

Jacob sighed. "Great. We haven't had a visit from the Harris' in a long time."

Shiloh looked at her son with understanding. Jacob had never gotten along with Steven's parents and she didn't suppose that was going to change anytime soon. She herself could barely stand to be in the same room with them. "They have a right to see him, Jake. He's their son." She nodded toward the bed. "You two want to say goodbye?" When they both nodded, so did she. "I'll be right outside the door."

Ten minutes later, Jacob and Dani came out of their dad's room. They both looked like they had been crying but were dry-eyed when they hugged their mother before walking quietly into Jacob's bedroom. Shiloh sighed as she heard the front door open and walked into the living room to find Dr. Weaver standing beside Steven's parents, Jane and Austin Harris. When Jane saw Shiloh, she shook her head and gave her a bitter smile.

"I bet you're happy now, aren't you?"