Chapter 8

The people around Chloe were talking.

"So who's gonna stay with Chloe while the rest of us go to court?" Ramone asked.

"I'll stay with her." Sally answered.

"Okay." Replied the lady in teal, "but where are Sarge and Fillmore?"

"We're right here man!" A hippie yelled.

Next to the hippie was a man in an army suite.

"Let's go see what Doc wants to do with him." Sarge said.

Everyone left and Sally and Chloe were now alone.

"Who's Doc?" Chloe asked.

"He's the one who wrapped up your head. You have a really bad concussion." Sally explained.

"What's a concussion?" She asked.

"It's when your head hits really hard on something and your brain is bruised." Sally explained.

"Oh." Chloe replied touching the bandage, "Is Doc nice?"

"i mean he's an old guy and old guys get grumpy. With you yes he'll be nice. But I don't think your father's on his good side." Sally answered.

They looked up to see Doc explaining to McQueen how to work a machine called Bessie.

"Then you will scrape the road and paint it new." Doc finished.

"Come on I gotta get to the race."

"The faster you work, the sooner you'll go." Doc answered.

"Can I at least see my daughter?" Lightning asked.

"Not for long. You have work to do." He answered.

Doc saw Sally and Chloe not too far from him and motioned them to come closer. They walked over to them and Chloe walked over to McQueen.

"Daddy!" She smiled hugging him.

McQueen picked her up and hugged her, "I'm so relived that you're okay. You had me so scared last night."

"Sally told me that I have a concussion." Chloe told him.

Lightning felt his heart hit rock bottom. No matter how many times he'd tell himself it wasn't his fault, he knew deep down that it truly was. He sighed and hugged her again.

"When can we leave?"

"When I'm done with this road then we'll be on our way. I'll get it done as soon as I can." He answered.

"Promise?"

"Promise." McQueen replied locking his pinkie with hers.

Chloe yawned and rubbed her eyes, "I'm sleepy."

McQueen started to worry. Sally walked over to them and gently took Chloe from McQueen's arms.

"Uh Sally?"

"Yeah?"

"Could you keep an eye on her while she sleeps? She gets really bad nightmares and it worries me." McQueen answered.

"Don't worry. She's safe with me." She answered with a gentle smile.

Sally walked away with a sleeping Chloe in her arms.