Never had christmas?

Katherine had been discharged from the infirmary and It was the day before Christmas eve.

Tom and Katherine were in the common room, reading. Tom was reading V for vendetta and Katherine was reading The selection.

" I'm Bored!" Katherine groaned all of a sudden.

Tom didn't look up from his book " then read"

Katherine slammed her book on the table " we've been reading for hours! Its winter break, have some fun."

Tom looked up from his book " there's nothing special about winter break, it just makes you lose focus."

Katherine's eyes widened " nothing special? What about snow, it only lasts for so long. What about gingerbread houses and hot chocolate, an excuse to consume tons of sugar and not feel bad about it later. What about presents? What about Christmas!"

Tom closed his book " I grew up in an orphanage. I didn't get to play in the snow or build a gingerbread house or consume large amounts of sugar. The best present I've ever gotten is a pen from Slughorn and Christmas is just another holiday that people spend with their families, if you haven't realized yet, I don't have one."

Silence.

An idea popped into Katherine's head, she stood up and started walking towards the common room door, grabbing her gloves on the way.

Tom sighed "Where are you going?"

"Skating"Katherine lied and started to run.

Tom immediately stood up and ran after her " Katherine! Come back here right now!"

Katherine kept on running until she was outside. She jumped into some deep snow and waited for Tom.

He showed up a few seconds later with an angry expression. " I am not letting you go skating."

Katherine laughed " Tom after what happened, I'm never stepping foot on ice again."

"Then what are we doing outside?" He asked.

"We are going to play in the snow" Katherine smiled.

Tom crossed his arms " could you stop being so childish and come back inside?"

She shook her head "nope."

Katherine created a ball of snow and started to roll it along the ground. "Are you just going to stand there or..."

Tom sighed and helped her roll the snowball. It became bigger and bigger " okay stop, it's big enough" Katherine said.

Tom stopped rolling " now what?"

"You create the middle while I create the head." She instructed as she made her way over to some fresh snow and started to roll the head.

"Why do people enjoy this so much, it's just rolling snow." Tom said as he rolled the middle of the soon to be snowman.

Katherine thought about it for a moment "The feeling? It's like when you take a walk at night or watch the sun rise, it gives you a feeling. I guess building a snowman makes people feel happy, it makes me happy."

Tom stopped rolling " It makes me cold." Tom lifted the middle piece and places it on the biggest one. Katherine placed the head on top.

They stared at their half finished snowman, it was all bumpy and out of shape.

"That's one messed up snow man" Tom said.

Katherine laughed " don't be so mean, go find some pinecones and rocks while I un lump our snowman."