Ship

Getting us onto the first ship was a process. We couldn't be seen, or everything would be ruined. And that's how we ended up in a box on a truck heading towards the docks.

It's cramped. The box is just big enough for the three of us to sit squished side-by-side with our bags at our feet, and even though we only have to be in that box for maybe two hours, it feels like forever. We can't talk, whatever the hell is in Steve's new bag is digging into my shin, but if I adjust myself at all Sam can and will take my legroom. 

Steve looks a little uncomfortable, but he just closes his eyes on the trip and rests his head on his knees. Sam hates small spaces, on the other hand, and I end up wrapped around him to keep him calm. I'm not very comfortable, but I'm doing alright.

Tony ended up pulling each of us aside separately to give us something. I'm not sure what Steve got, I just know it's heavy and apparently painful when pressed against your shin. Sam was given a small talk he won't tell me about and a watch. As I lay my head against Sam's shoulder, I think back to what Tony gave and told me.

***

Sam was just walking up from his meeting with Tony when JARVIS called me down to the workshop. I didn't even get the chance to ask him about it before I was headed down the elevator.

Tony, for the first time, wasn't in the middle of tinkering with something when I walked in. Instead, he was sitting at a table that looked hastily cleared. He stood, welcomed me in, and gestured for me to sit across from him before sitting down again. 

The first thing he said next was this:

"I know you're not Captain America."

I think he saw the look of utter confusion on my face, because he rushedly continued.

"I know you've always rejected that title. I understand, it's big and powerful and not you or yours. So when I give you what I'm about to, please understand that I know you aren't Captain America, and this isn't for him. I made this for you."

He placed a box on the table. I reached over and took it, even more curious now. It was not very large, smaller than a shoe box even, but it had some weight to it. Carefully, I opened the lid and looked at the box's contents.

At first, it looked like a stiff black hoodie, folded up so I could see the black star embroidered on the chest. I pulled it out of the box and found that it was a little more complicated than that.

"Put it on," Tony said, standing. "I can explain it."

So I took off the hoodie I was wearing and pulled this one on with barely any difficulty. It fit well, and as I pulled my hands through the sleeves I found that they end in something akin to fingerless gloves. Tony came around to me and adjusted the way it fits, tightening the lacing on some stiffer material around my forearms and pulling the hood onto my head to test the material there too. 

"Okay. Basically, it's the most casual uniform you've ever seen. A hoodie, but also protective. Safe and comfortable. I've started testing this synthetic material that you have on your forearms, hood, and most of your torso, and it'll stop the average bullet or pocket knife. I had to sacrifice any more safety for the ability to move well in it, so don't go getting stabbed in the side, elbows, or parts of your back, alright?" 

He was circling me at this point, and then he stopped and flipped my palms up, tracing a shiny circle on each one with his fingertips. 

"You see these? They're basically a kid version of my flight stabilizers, designed so you can still make a fist and get through airport security. They make a flash of bright light and let out a blast powerful enough to very temporarily stun a guy, but that's about it."