Chapter 3

"Here." I grabbed a match from my bag and handed it to Nat.

He scratched it against the top of the box and then we started to walk towards an apartment building. I know, I have to tell Nat I'm bit, I'm so screwed.

I could feel that pain coming back from when my mom injected me with that virus.

"Hurry.. up." I said in pain.

The heat was running through my veins faster, my fingers started to curl because it hurt so bad.

"Okay." He whispered.

I collapse on the 4th floor, shoving my face in the dirty floor. I started to breath heavily, tears streamed down my face. I started to rock back and fourth thinking it would help. Nat reached down and tried to get me up but, I couldn't. The pain became so unbearable it made my ankles so week it felt like they were going to snap in half.

"Come on, you gotta get up!" He tried to pull me.

He picked me up bridal style and ran up another flight of stairs. He opened the door to a room and laid me down on the bed. I was starting to blacking out, I kept forcing my eyes to stay open but, they just rolled back into my head. He lit a candle and put it on the side of the bed.

"Ughhh..." I grabbed the sheets.

He rubbed my back as I laid there shaking. I soon passed out because of the pain. I feel so bad for Nat he probably doesn't know what's going on.

***

I woke up the next morning with Nat holding me, trying not to fall asleep. I turned over to face him, he looked scared.

"I thought you were dead." He looked like he was relived.

"I'm okay, do you have any water?" I asked in a crackly voice.

" Yeah." He got up and grabbed his water bottle from his bag, "Here ya go." He handed it to me.

" Thank you. "

I sat up slowly and took a mouthful of the water. It felt so good against my dry throat. I stood up and my head was spinning. My hair was sticking out everywhere, I tried to braid it but, it looked terrible.

"Here let me." He moved all of my hair to the back and started to braid, "I had to Learn for my little sister. She was always asking me to braid her hair."

"Awe, that's cute." I smiled.

"Her name was Lily."

" That's a pretty name. Do you mind if I ask what happened?" I said as he turned me around.

"Um, I don't really know. I kind of just assumed the worst, I guess."

He brushed the hair that fell out behind my ear and cupped my cheek with his hand. We just looked at each other for a second. He's probably the only nice person left on this earth.

"I'm gonna look for some new clothes." I put my hand over his.

I walked away into the back room, there was a closet. I looked through the clothes and I manged to find a black push up bra lined with white lace. It looked fairly new. I kept searching and found a plain black sweater with dark blue jeans.

I got dressed and spotted Nat peeking though the dusty mirror. Honestly it didn't bother me, I slipped on my sunglasses.

" Are you ready to go?" I asked.

He nodded and we got our stuff and left. We started to walk towards a bridge that was painted red.

" I probably owe you an explanation for last night. " I said.

" That would be nice." He smiled.

"Promise you won't shoot me."

"I promise. " He smiled.

"So my mom sort of started this. She injected this red stuff into this boy around your age. It made him become a zombie and that night my mom injected me with that red stuff. I woke up the next morning with red hair and red eyes. Then JJ started to bite people like my mom the cops, and my dad."

He didn't respond, he just gave me a blank stare. Oh crap, he hates me he's gonna leave now or burn me on a wooden stake. I immediately looked at the ground and started to twiddle my fingers.

" Oh... wow..."  ,he scratched the back of his head, " The biggest question has just been answered."

He stopped walking and I stopped with him. I reached out to hug him. He didn't put his arms around me until a few seconds had passed. He let go and so did I. We kept walking. He didn't say much.

We into the woods where there was a dirt road. I heard something. It sounded like a truck, a big one. Nat grabbed me and we dove into the bushes, what's left of them anyways. A huge tank followed by 4 smaller trucks went by. I felt my body shake a little bit.

"That's a problem. " I whispered.

" It's probably from a ground zone." He said.

"Ground 43. It had a number." I said.

" We should split. " He said.

He grabbed my hand and led me across the road into the other part of the woods.

***

We came up on a town, the houses looked all the same just with different blood splatters. There was bodies everywhere. I bent down to examine one and possibly loot it. He had no bite, none of them had bites. The only thing that they had in common was a bullet to the head. I looked over to Nat who was not paying attention. There's something not right, that little voice told me too leave.

"Na-" he fell to the ground

It's like time stopped. My eyes were wide praying he wasn't dead.

" AH fuck!" He yelled.

He held his bloody stomach, I dragged him into one of the allies of the houses.

"Oh fuck Nat!" I put on pressure to his wound.

" Is there an exit wound?" He muttered.

pushed him forward to see. There was a hole spewing blood.

" Yes."

I scanned for a door or a window. There was a high up window, I could possibly reach. I grabbed a garbage can and climbed on top of it to get in. I pushed my body forward and jumped on the counter that was inside. I stood up on it and stuck my head out the window.

"Get to the back door. I'll open it." I whispered.

I pulled out my knife and moved to the back door where Nat was supposed to be. suddenly I felt some one punch me. I quickly stabbed the man that did it. I held the side of my face, there was a little cut. I felt the heat rush to it. The pain was durable because the cut was small. When I got to the back door, he wasn't there. A man holding a knife to Nat's throat. Suddenly I was alone again. The man glided the knife across Nat's throat. blood leaked out of his slit throat. My heart dropped I wanted to drop. My eyes were big again, I couldn't stay, I had to go. I felt a big figure push me down. The sound of bullets filled the room then the glass shattered. I covered my ears. The shots stopped the figure got off of me and He pulled me up and was dragging me out. I fought because I just wanted to cuddle up with Nat's cold lifeless body.  It was hard to breath, it felt like I got the floor pulled out from underneath me. We got the house where the sniper was.

He was the sniper wasn't he? Well, I'm so screwed.