A Former Love

No one's P.O.V.
She has walked up here by herself, no one has forced her. She's wearing her nicest clothes, has washed her hair and tied it up. She has cleaned her face and eaten a good meal. Then she walked up here. Now she's sitting here, happy, with pink cheeks, on the edge, with the legs neatly underneath her, like she usually sits at home. In one hand she's clasping a golden cross. Far beneath her, a fall of at least 600 feet, she hears the sea crushing into the cliffside. But she doesn't see it. She has closed her eyes, and moves her lips. She prays her usual Sunday prayer. For herself and those she loves. She opens her eyes again and throws one last thankful glance up in the sky. Then she slowly gets up and head home.

She sighed loudly. She wished it was that simple. A quick Sunday prayer and then back again, like it used to be. But this time, it was far from what it used to be. She wasn't wearing her nice Sunday clothes, she hadn't washed herself, she hadn't eaten anything, she hadn't enjoyed a peaceful walk up here and she wasn't here to pray neither. No, quite the reverse. She wore her usual everyday clothing, she was dirty all over her face, she had ran all the way up here and she had no intentions to go back.
What would happen if she didn't go back? What would the others in the common house do? Would they continue as before? Would they give away her belongings, or just throw them away? She didn't like that thought. She was probably obliged to go back anyway.

She stretched her legs all the way out and pushed away with her arms. Then she slowly got up. For the first time she really saw the roaring sea beneath her. She nearly got all dizzy, that far down it was. She hurried away from the edge and turned around, to go back to where she came from. But then she realised that she impossibly could go back. How would she survive? Sure she could cook food for herself, but from where would she get the money to pay for it? She would probably not even be able to get at job. There was also the little detail, that she most likely was in search for, in the entire town. Besides, she hadn't ran all the way up here, just to go back and surrender.
She walked back and sat down again. She bent her knees over the edge. Now she had to do it. Carefully she leaned forwards. The sea still roared far beneath her feet. It scared her a little bit. How many people had died in that sea? She swallowed. Soon there would be one more.
Just then, in that exact moment, a memory appeared in her mind. She saw it so clearly, that it almost felt real. She closed her eyes.

She looks up at the apples. They hang high above in the tree's crown, among branches and leaves. They look good. Determined she walks towards the trunk, grabs it with both hands and starts to climb up. But she hasn't come far, before her small child hands lose their grip and she falls to the ground. She gives a surprised shriek, even though she didn't get hurt. Then she tries again. And again. And then one more time. At last she despairingly sits down against the tree, with her legs pulled up to her and her head resting on her knees.
"Is it the apples you want?" A voice asks from above her. She looks up. In front of her stands a little, brown haired girl, most likely at the same age as her.
"Yes, but they're too high up in the tree. I can't reach them." She answers sullen. The girl looks at her for a moment, but then grabs the trunk and starts climbing upwards. She sees how the girl climbs towards the apples. After a short amount of time, she again stands on the ground, with a fresh red apple in her hand.
"Here you are."  The girl holds the apple towards her.
"Thank you." She takes a bite of it. It tastes wonderful and is deliciously juicy. "What's your name by the way?"
"Beca." The girl answers.
"I'm Chloe."  She takes another bite of her apple. "Who taught you how to climb?"
"I did myself." Beca answers proudly.
" Will you teach me it?" She asks hopeful, with her mouth full of apple.
"Okay." They smile at each other, and soon the climbing lesson begins.

The memory began to fade away. Despite the gloomy situation she was in, sitting with the legs dangling far above the surface of the sea, she smiled to herself. She remembered their first meeting like it was yesterday. They had climbed in the tree all day and ate of the juicy apples, while they talked about everything than meet the eye. At that time they had only been kids, but still their meeting had been truly special. It was like a piece, they didn't know was missing, finally fell into place.
Since then, they had went together everywhere. All the way through the childhood and their young years as teenagers.
A new memory appeared in her mind. Again she closed her eyes and let the memory fill her thoughts.