A Growing Secret

Beca's P.O.V.
I fiddle with the strings of my oversized hoodie. This is it. I just have to go in there, in the living room and tell her. It won't kill me. I mean, I'm in my own apartment! A shared apartment, but still. The couch Chloe is sitting on belongs just as much to me, as it does to her and Emy. If anything should go wrong, I can just go back up to my room. I knew it would be a good idea that we all three got separate rooms. Even though me and Chloe had been together for a month when we moved in, two months now, it's nice to have a room where you can be alone. Besides, Chloe and me still haven't made it official yet. Everyone knows about us, but we're not literal girlfriends. For now, we're just together.
But back to the present time. A bad tension has started to rise between us, and I don't want it to. I need to tell her.
It's just words. Why is it so hard? The only thing I need to do is say them out loud. Not in my head.
No, I can't do it. I can't. It won't be worth it in the end. But... urgh, why is this so hard?!

After a while, I defeated leave the door to the living room and go to my own room.
"Hey Shortie, where did you go?" Emy asks me, as I enter my room.
"I was just getting some water." I quickly answer, and sit down next to her on my bed.
"To get some water?" She repeats, with a lifted eyebrow. "Beca, you were away for at least ten minutes. And I didn't hear any water running."
"Why does it even matter?"
"Because you've acted strange lately. Even before we moved in, and we moved in, a whole month ago. What's the matter?"
I sigh loudly. You really can't hide anything from Emy. "I just have to tell Chloe something. But I also don't want to."
"I knew there was something wrong." She moves closer to me and tries to hug me. I immediately push her away.
"Why won't you let any of us hug you anymore? I know you say you don't like it, but you normally never push us away." She asks disappointed.
"I can't tell you. Not yet, at least." I sigh.
"Alright." She sighs too. "But then, what has gotten between the two of you?"
"I can't tell you either. But I've thought about telling it to Chloe for a while now. And yesterday night I decided, that today would be the day I'd tell her. But I just can't do it!" I answer frustrated.
"Is it really that bad, that you can't even tell me?" She asks worried.
"Yeah. It really isn't good."
"I know you aren't officially girlfriends, but you're not breaking up with her, are you?"
"No. Or, I don't know." I exhale deeply.
"Hey, I'm sure you guys can sort this out. And you're The Big BM. Nothing's impossible for you."
"It feels like this is."
"No it's not. You two just have to talk together and sort it out!"
"I know it's just... urgh!"
"You know what? I've got an idea!" She stands up with a determined look. "We pretend that you're helping me search for my phone in the living room. I'm guessing that's where she was, right?"
"Yeah." I confirm. "Proceed."
"Then you'll leave and I'll speak to Chloe. Meanwhile, you'll be listening outside the door. You'll then hear that whatever the problem is, it's no big deal and you two can fix it together."
I nod my head slowly. "Sounds like a good idea. But why can't I just stay outside the door from the beginning?"
"Because..." She trails off. "Where exactly were you in those ten minutes?"
"Uhm..." I feel my cheeks turning red.
"I knew it! So therefore you'll go with me. Come on." She grabs my hand and drags me towards the living room.

"Hi Chloe, didn't know you were there." Emy says, as soon as we enter the living room.
"Uhm, hi?" Chloe looks at us confused.
"We're just search for Emy's phone." I begin to explain.
"Yeah, that's... RIGHT!" Suddenly Emy pushes me towards the couch. I land half on the couch and half on top of Chloe. I give a terrified squeal.
"What was that for?!" I ask Emy. But before I've even registered it, she has left the room and slammed the door after her. I quickly get up and run to the door. It's locked.
"Emy, lock up that door right now!" I yell at her, and pound on the door.
"I'm gonna leave the apartment now. I'll be back in about an hour. If you guys have solved whatever your problem is, I'll let you out. If not, you can stay in there. Bye." We hear Emy as she walks away and leaves the apartment.
"Urgh!" I pound on the door one last time, before sitting down on the couch next to Chloe.

"What was all that about?" She asks me, with confusion written all over her face.
"Ehhh..." I start to fiddle with the strings of my oversized hoodie again.
She sighs. "What's wrong Beca? You've been so checked out lately, I'm starting to worry if it's because of me. It hurts when you shut me out like that. Please don't build up your walls again like you did in college. That was five years ago, you've come so far. Don't ruin it now." Chloe looks at me with a worried, but hurt expression. I open my mouth to explain, but no words come out.
"Beca, you know you can tell me anything. I won't judge you or run away screaming."
"Are you sure about that?" I ask her.
She sighs. "It really can't be that bad. Can it?..." She pauses for a moment, then looks at me suspiciously. "You're not pregnant, are you?"
"Wha-" I frown at her. "You know me and Jesse were only together for one and a half month. And our breakup was like, three months ago!" I stand up from the couch.
"But why did you break up? You still haven't told. That also hurts me." She stands up too and looks me directly in the eyes.
"I just don't want to talk about it."
"Fine. Then at least tell me the reason why you shut me out. As I said, it really can't be that bad, like, you're not pregnant are you?" She laughs despairing.
"I have already answered that. Besides, I'm sure it would've started to show now, if that was the case." I say, slightly annoyed.
She freezes, then gives me a long gaze, from head to toe. "Beca, you've only been wearing oversized hoodies lately."
"Yeah, because they're warm and comfy. The bigger, the comfier." I place my hands on my hip.
"You're wearing a shirt underneath you hoodie, right?" She looks at me seriously.
"Yeah...?" I lift an eyebrow.
"Then take off your hoodie."
I freeze. "Why do I have to do that?"
"Just do it." She crosses her arms determined.
I start laughing at her. "Do you seriously think that I'm pregnant?!"
"I don't know, you haven't denied it, have you?" She asks me distrustful.
I immediately stop laughing. My arms drop down my sides, and I sit down on the couch with a thud.

"Beca?" Chloe whispers carefully, after a little while.
"What?" My voice cracks as I look up at her. Her eyes are glossy and wide in shock.
"Please don't tell me this is actually true." She whispers.
I wipe my eyes and stand up. Then I reach down to the bottom of my hoodie and start pulling it over my head. When it's off, I throw it on the couch. I look directly into her glossy eyes, which reflects mine perfectly. She looks down and so do I. She then looks back up again, but I keep staring down. I'm wearing a semi tight shirt, so it's actually quite visible.
Finally she speaks up: "How far are you?"
"Three months." I whisper, my voice getting thicker for every second I talk. She slowly nods.
"I'm so sorry." My voice cracks again.
She takes a deep breath. "Why would you keep something like that from us? For three whole months! How haven't I noticed anything?"
I shrug my shoulders. I honestly have no idea how I was that lucky. I'm pretty slim build, so it was already visible quite early on.
She sighs heavily. "It's Jesse's, right?"
I nod as answer. "That's the reason we broke up. And why I didn't tell you." I explain with a thick voice. "As soon as I told him, he said he didn't want anything to do with neither me nor It. He left immediately and I haven't heard from him since."
"Oh, Beca." She says pityingly. "How did it even happen?"
"Let's just say we weren't completely ourselves. We were just tasting some drinks... and now I'm here. Soon I won't even be, because you're most likely gonna kick me out."
"No we won't. And I'm not gonna leave you to yourself, especially not at this state."
I finally look up again. "So... You will help me through this?"
"Yes. Of course I will." We give each other a weak smile. She then pulls me in for a hug, and for the first time in many weeks, I let her do it.
"Thank you so much." I mange to stutter out, while we hug.
"No problem Becs." She replies.
I smile and hug her tighter. I'm so lucky I have her.
"Now I know why you haven't let us hug you these past few weeks." She giggles. "I can feel your stomach agains mine." I giggle too. It's actually quite funny, now that she knows.
"I think we still have some time left before Emy returns." Chloe says, and pulls away to look at the clock. "Do you maybe want to watch some TV?"
"Sounds good." I nod.
We drop down on the sofa and cuddle together, waiting for Emy to return.
"I love you Chloe." I whisper to her ear. "My future girlfriend."
"I love you too Beca. As my girlfriend." She whispers back.
I turn my head towards her, to meet her gaze. She gives me a wink. I smile widely and kiss her lips. She intertwines our hands on top of my stomach. The future already seems much brighter with her by my side.