A New Life

I woke up early in the morning to find my muscles and joints stiffer than boards. I stretched luxuriously, feeling my  back pop. At my feet, Buttons snorted and stretched, before laying back down to sleep. Beside me, Vergil stirred gently, squinting at the clock.

"What time is it?"

"It's five. Go back to sleep, Vergil."

He cleared his throat, pulling the blankets around him as I stood to dress. His breaths evened out and became deep once again. I pulled on my jeans and a black hoodie, sneaking out of the room. Slowly, so the door wouldn't creak, I shut the door behind me, tiptoing down the stairs. I prayed the creaking wood wouldn't wake Dante.

In the downstairs bathroom, I pulled my hair into a pony tail, brushing my teeth and washing my face. I readied myself for a quick hunt before starting the day.

Locking the door behind me, I peered at the western horizon. The sun was threatening to rise. I didn't have long.

I shivered, pulling my arms tighter around me. But it did nothing to ward off the early fall chill. With a deep, warming breath, I set off into the woods.

After the humans discovered that there was a Vampire on the loose, they became cautious of wandering strangers. There was a cerfew-eight a.m. till eight p.m.-that they had enforced, and people obeyed it. Due to this drastic change, I settled for hunting animals for a main source of blood. It wasn't the most replenishing, but it was something.

I scanned the horizon, my footsteps almost dead silent. My senses heightened when I was on the prowl, when the inner hunter inside of me woke up.

I stopped all movements as I spied a young deer in the clearing ahead of me. Half hidden by a bush, it nibbled on the tender grass lush beneath its feet.

I crouched, carefully sneaking forwards. The deer was blissfully unaware of me as it stepped out from behind the shrub. I was within fifty feet of it when a blue jay began cawing to my right. The deer snapped its head up, eyeing me within seconds. I watched it retreat into the undergrowth,  its tail flicking back and forth.

I swore under my breath. Yet another day I would go without hunting. With a deep sigh, I turned and retreated back to the house.

~0~

It was six in the morning when I walked into the house. Vergil was in the recliner with a cup of coffee in his hand. His feet were on the coffee table, and he looked so relaxed.

"How did the hunt go?"

I sighed, "The only deer I found got away. I quit because I figured the deer would be bedded down by now."

Vergil chuckled, "You'll get the hang of it."

I sat down heavily on the couch, quirking my brow at him, "What happened to no feet on the coffee table?"

He placed a finger on his pursed lips. I smiled as he sipped the coffee, "Dante doesn't need to know."

I stood and went to the fridge, pulling out a root beer. I popped the can open, swigging deeply. It did nothing to quench the thirst for blood, but it tasted so good.

The stairs creaked, and an exhausted Dante came down. His hair was disheveled,  and his eyes were bloodshot. Vergil lurched forwards, pulling his feet from the center console. I chuckled as Dante grabbed a beer from the fridge.

"What, can we put our feet on the table now?"

Vergil shook his head, "Nope."

"But you just were."

"My house, my rules."

Oooo I hated it when people played that card. Dante opened his mouth to protest, but thought better of it. I silently praised him; he was learning to keep his mouth shut when needed.

Vergil sneered, plopping down on the couch.

Dante chugged the beer, tossing the bottle into the garbage with an ungodly belch, reaching for another.

"Careful how much you drink in the morning, Dante," I warned, "You might get sick."

"Not anymore. My body is pretty used to heavy drinking," he winked at Vergil, "But him on the other hand, he can't even handle one."

Vergil scoffed, "Yes I can. I have before."

"Oh yeah? Drink one."

"Okay. Throw one here."

"Vergil..." I growled.

Vergil caught the bottle of Bud Light, popping the top and taking a long swig, earning a grin from Dante.

"Finish it, brother."

Vergil tipped the bottle back, draining it in less than ten seconds.

"See? I told you I could."

Vergil set the glass bottle down on the coffee table, placing his feet beside it.

"Vergil Sparda," I growled, "You told me you never drank."

He shrugged "Once in a while won't hurt me."

I opened my mouth to chew him out, but his phone rang. He held up his finger, cutting me off.

He dug the phone out of his pocket, "What's up, Frank?"

Dante and I stared at him as he went silent, his brow furrowing.

"Yes I have. Yes just yesterday. Uh... no. Have any of you?"

He stood, rushing past  me into the kitchen, tossing the bottle into the garbage, "Yeah, I'll be right there."

He clicked off the phone, shrugging his coat on, "Come on, guys. We have to go to the Order building. Frank thinks someone is hacking the systems."