1. 3.

SYBIL VAIN AKA THE ORACLE

SOUND: Secret, The Pierces

"It is high time we realize that is pointless

To praise the light and preach it if nobody can see it.

It is much more needful to teach people the art of seeing."

Carl G. Jung

Doctor Von Haughman had agreed to a little walk through the hospital's garden, before the usual session. They strolled side by side along the gravel path that circled the square of green grass. The Oracle breathed in the sweet air, still carrying the pleasant crispness of spring. Lovely time in New York, at late afternoon the sun was still high in the sky. His eyes embraced the pink flowers, lingering on a tree—sunlight embellished them like glimmering jewelry. A smile blossomed on his lips.

"A human being is part of the whole, called by us the 'Universe', a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separate from the rest—a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness." Sybil slowly turned around and stared intently in the doctor's eyes. "This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole nature in its beauty." His measured, soft-spoken sermonette hung on a deliberate break. "Nobody is able to achieve this completely, but the striving for such achievement is in itself a part of the liberation, and a foundation of inner security."

"Is that what you think, Mister Vain?"

Running a delicate hand through his long hair, The Oracle resumed his walk. "How many times have I told you to call me Sybil already?"

"Alright. Today I'll comply with your request, but only after you reply to my questions. Is that what you think, Mister Vain?"

"Not me. I was quoting Einstein." Sybil chuckled to himself and turned on his heel to look at the older man. "It just came to my mind. I kept forgetting to show you my gratitude for allowing me to keep these." He lifted the pendant with his right hand, showing the ring as well.

Von Haughman's brows arched, revealing his surprise, but he recovered his composure just as quickly. "Nevermind. Jewelry didn't pose a threat in your circumstances. You are definitely not the kind of patient who might misuse it to hurt himself or others."

The psychiatrist took off his glasses and tucked them in the left pocket of his white coat. Under his arm, he carried the folder of medical papers he'd collected about his patient in the past month. His distinguished manners and stern features were in stark contrast with the benevolence of his emerald eyes.