Chapter 18

"I'll show you." His voice was excited, and it forced the same feeling right through my veins.

"Okay," I agreed softly, the smile growing on my face. Tentatively, I reached out, fingers stretching, and he took my hand in his. Out the door he pulled me, and I watched the back of his head for a moment, gentle dark brown wisps licking and fighting to tickle the skin of his neck.

The moon was out tonight, big, round, and silvery. It smiled down on us as Austin began to run. Without question, I followed suit. Into his backyard, shrouded in moonlight and shadows, we sprinted, giggling and letting out whoops of excitement. Towards the trees we ran, and the closer we got, the more curious I became. We were both in our bare feet, staining the skin with grass, but it was only better this way. There was something about being more connected to the earth that set me free and relaxed.

"Als," he breathed, the sound of our feet pounding the dirt as we raced into the night.

"Austin," I replied, gripping his hand tightly.

"We're goin' in the forest," he gasped, and my eyes darted towards the dense gathering of trees in front of us. Slowing down slightly, I came to a stop and looked up at him.

"Is it safe?" I asked shyly, and he watched me in the moonlight. Crickets, and birds chirping their nighttime songs filled my head, but I left room for the voice of my boyfriend, his little breaths and sighs.

"No, we're gonna get murdered," he whispered. "It's gonna be so fun."

"Shut up!" I playfully pushed his chest, but he grabbed my hands and looked at me seriously.

"Come with me," he said more quietly.

"Okay," I whispered, allowing him to pull me into the trees. Twigs, leaves, and moss underfoot made shivers climb up my body. Something sharp dug into my heel, making me gasp.

"Ouch," I gasped, hopping on one foot.

"Are you okay?" he asked, picking a twig from my skin.

"Mhm," I whimpered, earning an eye roll from him. Crouching down, he motioned for me to climb on his back. Hesitantly, I did. After being lifted high into the air, we continued on. My arms latched tight around his neck, thighs around his waist, and chin nested in his hair.

"I have stronger feet than you, kitten," he said quietly. "I could walk on fire."

"Then why don't you?" I asked smugly.

"It would hurt the fire."

"I love you," I whispered, sighing happily.

"I love you," he repeated back, a smile in his voice, and rubbed my thigh briefly. Weeding his way through the trees, Austin walked on like he'd been here every day of his life. A part of me didn't doubt it. Far to the left, I could see a really wide path, and wondered why he hadn't just used that. But, gently kissing the side of his neck, I found it in myself to not give a damn. For a few more minutes, he stumbled through the moonlight with me clung to his back. Staying quiet, I watched the movement of his feet on the forest floor, loving the summer breezes that shifted through our hair.

"Okay," he said, letting me down on my feet with a slight groan.

In front of us, something amazing sat.

Sand packed down hard surrounded a big pool of water, deep black and ominous in the night. For the light of the moon and thousands of stars, it reflected and shimmered, like a dance. Subconsciously, I wandered closer to the water, my toes squishing in the sand. Pebbles pressed into the bottoms of my feet, but I didn't mind.