Chapter 6

Izaya's POV

Shizuo had left to go to work, as I was feeling much better over the span of the past few days with his care. I drew myself a bath, feeling dirty and needing to calm my nerves.

A sigh escaped my lips as I settled into the warm water. Bubbles surrounded me and I sunk in, playfully blowing them away from face. I knew bubble baths were childish, but didn't care in the slightest. They always brought a sense of comfort and peace in my all too chaotic life. My phone was set on the counter of the vanity, playing peaceful music. I scrubbed away the dried blood and dirt from my body, wincing in slight pain as the soap seeped into the wounds. I sighed in pleasure as I scrubbed my hair, massaging my scalp. The water of the tub turned red as the dried blood dissolved into it. As well as blood from fresh cuts, the skin red and inflamed. My hands were covered in the red once I was finished, and I scrunched my brow in distaste, hoping the wound would not leave a bald patch.

I laid there for a while, relaxing before draining the tub and getting out. I put fresh bandages on the wounds, the worse ones having managed to scab over nicely over the past few days. I changed into my usual attire, heading out for business. I sneezed at the cold nip in the air, shivering slightly. Thankfully my parka managed to keep me fairly warm.

I watched snowflakes dance through the sky as I made my way into Ikebukuro, knowing Shiki would not be pleased if I didn't work for much longer.

I met with many of my clients without incident, surprised to not have Shizu-chan on my tail. The sun had set, the chill in the air evolving into a bitter cold that had me shivering. I meet with more clients, not letting my guard falter for even a moment. I was nervous to say the least, the stabbing from a week ago leaving me an anxious mess wherever I went. My wounds and body ached from the cold air, and I muttered a curse.

I made my way back to my penthouse, shivering and stumbling, feeling ill. Once inside, I let myself collapse onto the floor, my exhaustion consuming me. Then I heard that familiar angry tone ring through the air, "Where the hell have you been?"