Drawn to Insanity

Chapter 3: Drawn to Insanity

Screams filled my ears, more distinctly a girls scream. Athena’s scream --- more precise ---, piercing my ears. Why was she screaming? I tried to turn around and find her, but my movements were restricted. “What in the world?” I mumbled looking down. I was wrapped in chains, tying my wings, arms and legs together. “Why am I tied up?” I mumble again.

Axel help me! Help me!” Athena cried out.

“Athena,” I tried running for her, but was reminded that I’m chained. “Stupid chains!” I spat wriggling around in them. I thrashed about in them trying to break the tight metal keeping me down. “Come on Axel, break it, it’s for Athena” I coached myself. Balling my fists and barring my teeth I thrashed about in the chains once more. I felt them break a bit, and I thrashed harder.

Axel hurry, they’re gonna take me away!” Athena screamed, and I broke the chains.

“I’m coming Athena, hold on!” I shouted running along the granite tiles.

How did Athena get herself into the Realm of the Pure --- the realm where me and Chief live. Could she have made herself pure again? But how is that possible, and if she was pure, why are they dragging her away again? I reached her and viciously grabbed her wrists pulling her to me. “Are you okay?” I ask and she gave me a confused look.

What do you mean Axel? I was fine the whole time.” She said, and that confused me.

“What, you were just being pulled off by that force!” I shouted letting go of her.

I faked it Axel, that never happened. I left you all alone.” She said.

“You. . . lied. . . to. . . me” I said trying to hold back anger. She nodded in response.

“Yes Axel, you lived a lie for four years. And now you are eleven years old, and still not over it,” she taunted “you’re pathetic Axel, a pathetic excuse for an older brother!”

My heart dropped to the pit of my stomach. Her words repeated over and over through my head, stabbing my heart a million times over. “I’m pathetic, I bet she is over all of that” I told myself. Suddenly I felt a tremor, as if someone was shaking me.

“Axel, wake up, wake up” A familiar voice said. “Axel please wake up, its just a nightmare!” The voice insisted. I recognized the voice, it was Chief!

Chief is going to leave me too, just like Athena! He’s a backstabber, just going to leave me alone and go through the pain all by myself! My eyes shoot open, and I find Chief sitting at Athena’s bedside.

“Don’t touch me!” I shouted darting up from her bed.

“Axel what’s wrong?” Chief asked me dumbly.

“Yeah that’s right play dumb, as if you don’t know what’s going on!” I spat.

“Axel why are you acting so strange?”

“You backstabber! You’ll leave me too, just like Athena!”

“What? Axel what are you talking about?” Chief asked. “And Athena didn’t leave Axel---” He started.

“Shut up! Yes she did, she told me everything!” I said cutting him off.

“Axel you have to calm down. It was just a dream” Chief said, but I ignored him.

I didn’t need to hear this, I knew he was going to betray me. I knew it was coming. After he told me to let go, I kinda suspected it. But Athena told me to forgive him anyway, no way, I should have just ignored her! She put me through pain, he put me through pain, and now he’s acting like none of this is happening again. Without another word, I jumped off the bed and ran out of the room. “Axel where are you going?” I heard Chief yell behind me. I ran faster through through the main temple, to where I witnessed Athena being dragged away. “It’ll all be over, nobody else will betray you, you wont feel anymore pain” I thought running as fast as I possibly could. “Axel, where are you going?” Chief called behind me again. I skidded to a halt and looked over were part of the temple was broken. “No Axel, you can’t do that” He panted.

“If I do there will be nobody to betray me. No more pain Chief” I shot walking closer to the edge.

“Please Axel, rethink this, what if you die. You’ll put me through pain Axel”

“You never cared when you put me through pain! You just told me to move on get over it!” I spat taking more steps to the edge.

“Please Axel, don’t do this” He pleaded.

I ignored him, and took another step peering over the edge.