Chapter 6

Sorry I'm skipping the day ahead. I really wanted to get to the babysitting job.

___________________________________________________________________________

Seb was waiting for me, leaning on my locker. He smiled when he saw me, but then he seemed to realize it, and his smile faded a little. When I got to him, his smile was only a polite one. I pushed him aside and put in my combination.

"You remembered."

"Yeah, is it that surprising?"

"I thought you might ditch or something," I put everything in my backpack and faced him. He raised an eyebrow as he stared back at me. His hair was all messy from gym, which we had for our last period. I resisted the urge to run my hand through it.

"I wanna see the little kid you torture," He teased. I smacked his arm again, which I found myself doing quite often now.

"For your information," I said as we started walking to his car, "She's like my little sister. Sweet and totally adorable."

"Oh, really?" He asked as we walked out the door. I followed him to his car and he opened the door for me. I smiled as I got in.

"So you actually convinced the parents to let me stay?" He got in through the driver's door and started the car.

"Yeah. It was a pain though. They were totally convinced that you were my boyfriend, and that our "so-called" project was just a lie. They didn't say that directly, but I'm sure they were thinking it."

"Ah, so now you can read minds?"

"Shut up."

I gave him the directions. When we got there, as soon as Seb parked the car, a little redhead ran out the door to greet me. She didn't know Seb was here too.

"Julie!" She called out and gave me a hug.

"Hey, Emma," I smiled. Then she saw Seb, and her eyes widened. I chuckled. "Emma, this is Seb."

"Is he your boyfriend?" She asked. If she wasn't so cute, I would have been really annoyed. I just laughed and let it slide, even though it did bother me. A lot. Why did everyone think he was my boyfriend?

"No, he's just here because of a project we have to do together."

We walked inside to say good-bye to Mr. and Mrs. Smith, who were going to a dinner party. Mr. Smith talked with Seb for a few minutes, and seemed to approve of him. I had a hard time resisting the temptation to start laughing.

After they drove away, Emma seemed really excited in giving Seb a tour of her house. He was really nice, letting her lead him away.

I busied myself with filling in the packet. What was you and your partner's job(s)? How much money did you earn?

"Let's watch a movie!" Emma said when they came back.

"Sure, what do you wanna watch?" I asked.

She took out a DVD and inserted it in the DVD player. She turned on the TV and joined us on the couch.

"Little Mermaid?" Seb asked when the movie started. "Good choice."

I laughed.

"It's my favorite movie," Emma told him. The she turned to me, "Can we have popcorn? Pleeeease?"

"Sure," I started to get up when Seb stopped me.

"I'll get it."

"Are you sure?" I teased, "I know you love this movie too."