Chapter 35

Alex likes to think that he knows everything there is to know about Fort Lauderdale. But, the truth is, Sabrina knows wayyy more. Like, wayyyyyyyy more.

"I'm telling you," Alex says for the fifth time on the way to Margaritaville, "it's that way."

"You idiot. We have to pass the churros stand before we arrive at Margaritaville."

Alex shakes his head. "Last time, we didn't─"

"Last time, we came from the other way."

"Nooo. Last time, we came with the car."

"That was─ That was last, last time. Last time, we were at the Outlets."

"No. I remember. You wanted the little donuts thing from Auntie Anne's. And we came from─"

"Ohmygod! Just listen to me. It's that way!"

Alex looks at me and sighs. I shrug and smile. I pity guy; being related to Sabrine means never being right.

"Fine," Alex gives in, "if I'm right, you're paying for my churros."

"I was planning on paying regardless, so sure."

We continue walking on the boardwalk, Sabrina and I, on the wavy little road, and Alex on the gravel floor. It's about seven p.m., and we're heading out to eat. It's been so long since we've had some time alone ─ without Fannar or any member of our families ─ that it feels like this needs this to go perfect. But maybe it's just me, maybe I'm the only one who feels the pressure.

The sun isn't even starting the set, and the people are out, ready to party. So many people on the streets, it stresses me out. I don't want to have an episode of my thing with Alex here. But I don't feel like I will. There aren't as many people as in the Whole Food Market and, even though there is a lot of noise and lights, I'm focused on Alex and Sabrina.

They're slightly in front of me ─ which, I guess, is fine, since the wavy little road is only narrow enough for one ─, talking about some friends I know nothing about and laughing about things I have never heard of.

"Ohmygod! I can't believe we did that!" Sabrina says, half-laughing. "we were so innocent!"

Alex runs his fingers through his hair and, even though he's in front of me and I can't really see his face, I know he's smiling. "Back in the days when our only worry was whether or not we should add ketchup in our shepherd's pie."

I burst into laughter and they both turn around. Like they have forgotten I was even here. I ignore the look on their face ─ half guilty, half surprise ─ and speak, "that was never our only concern."

Alex tilts his head to the side, one hand in his jean shorts pocket. "What were your concerns at age eight?"

"Whether or not I should buy the purple sneakers or those that could light up. Whether or not I should stop watching Barbie movies because everyone thought it was for babies when I loved them─"

"Oh yeah!" Sabrina says, smiling brightly. "Ah! Those were the days. And Barbie is goals. Well, the old movies. I'm just like you."

"You're just like me," I sing instinctively.

I wonder if Fannar had those "problems" in Iceland. I think maybe he did. We might have lived in different countries, but I've come to learn that we aren't much different, him and I, or anyone else in the world. I've seen hundreds of tourists in Florida, from Asia and Africa and Europe and they're all, well, the same. Different, yeah, different languages, different ways of communicating, but they all take pictures, they all eat at restaurants, they all put sunscreen on and wear the same clothes and smile and say thank you and help each other.