Chapter 26

Skylar's date is Gavin.

Because of course life is like that. Of course Gavin out of all people. A guy to whom I said I didn't have a boyfriend. A guy who wrote down his phone number. We both know the other one isn't really dating their dates.

Of course.

Life is good.

I recognize him the moment the door of the restaurant opens up. His eyes meet mine and they widen. I know he curses mentally, as I turn around to look at Fannar who suddenly feels uneasy, loosening his tie.

"The guy's hot," he whispers, leaning towards me.

"I know him." I figure it's better to tell him the truth right away. I don't add that I agree with him even though, yeah, Gavin is hot, because in the last month I've known Fannar, I've come to learn lots about him, and approving with him on this certain topic won't help him calm his nerves.

Fannar's eyes shoot wide open. "You know the guy? You're kidding, right?"

I wish I was.

"Yeah, but I can't explain in front of him. I'll say I need to speak to you in private and─ Hi!" I get up and shake Gavin's hand before I have the chance to finish my sentence. Hopefully, I sound cheerful enough. Maybe, if I pretend I don't recognize him, he'll do the same? Maybe he doesn't even recognize me, and only widened his eyes because I'm super hot or something?

"Ella-Mae, right?" Gavin says, pointing at me.

Well, off to plan B, I guess.

"Right. And you're Gavin."

He nods. "I thought you didn't have a boyfriend."

Fannar turns towards me as to say, Really? Really? If he says so in front of Skylar, we're both dead. I nod as to say, I know.

"Well," I start. "I do. I just..."

"You were going to cheat on him?"

What?

"No!" I shake my head. Many times. Too many times. "No, it's just that... I didn't feel like you needed to know that. Also, my father doesn't know."

Lies upon lies upon lies.

To change the subject, I gesture towards my date. "This is Fannar. My boyfriend. Fannar, this is Gavin. A waiter at the place my family and I went to yesterday for Mel's wedding."

I didn't tell Fannar about the restaurant, but Fannar goes along and pretends to be the boyfriend who knows everything about his girlfriend because their communication is spot on.

"Oh right! Gavin! The guy who asked you if you had a boyfriend."

He's really good.

"Yeah."

Gavin takes a seat in front of me, leaving a spot in front of Fannar for Skylar. Gavin was already fifteen minutes late, and we wait another five before Skylar arrives. She comes in like a supermodel. It's practically as though I can hear background music as she makes her way to our table. Short black dress, silk and simple and oh-so-beautiful. No makeup, or barely any, and a high ponytail. This girl is too beautiful for her own good.

I straighten up my navy blue shirt with purple flowers as I get up to greet her. Maybe I should have worn a dress, too. It's not like it's the fanciest restaurant, but still. I guess a purple camisole and black jacket wasn't the most appropriate choice of clothing. Even Fannar looks sharp in his beige shorts, white shirt and purple tie. And Gavin, with his navy blue suit. Gosh, he looks like he's going to the Oscars.

"I'm so sorry I'm late," Skylar says, hugging Fannar, then kissing Gavin and then waving at me. "I took the bus and it was late and then I took the wrong one." She sighs. "Anyway, I'm here now!"

Fannar nods and smiles. "No worries."

We all sit down and no one speaks. Gavin and I look at each other. It's like we're having a none-spoken conversation. Skylar and Fannar are the ones who should initiate the conversation, not us. We're just here to prove a point. Well, I guess that I also have to prove a point to Gavin now that I told him Fannar and I are dating, but regardless.

"So," I start because Gavin won the debate even though, maybe, he has no clue we had a mental debate, "how did you two meet?" I ask Skylar.

"Gavin and I? Or Fannar?"

"Both?"

Fannar, from under the table, kicks my leg as to say that it was a horrible question to ask. I answer back by kicking his leg back as to say that at least I'm trying to make this double date as un-awkward as possible.

Skylar starts explaining both stories with many details. Maybe I'm supposed to hate her or something, but her stories are actually fascinating. She met Fannar on his first day at school and they bumped into each other. I know. Swoonworthy! And she met Gavin at the ice cream shop. He had a dare to speak to her and then blow her off, but he couldn't do it and here they are!

"What about you?" Skylar asks. "How did you two meet? I want to know everything. What do you like about each other? How did it start? Everything."

Even though she's looking at me, Fannar is the one who takes the lead. "We met through a friend. You know Alex. He thought we'd be a cute couple." He takes my hand. "And he's never wrong."

"Practically a Harvey Specter," I add to agree, mentioning the lawyer in Suits. Skylar must not know who I'm talking about, because she doesn't even smile.

"And what do you like about each other?" Gavin asks, winking at me. He's playing. He knows we're not a real couple. Well, jokes on him, 'cause I know that he and Skylar aren't a real couple, too. The only problem is, well, I don't know how to play his game.

Luckily for me, the waitress comes to take our order. Fannar and I share a burger (I've been craving one for the last week. Gimme all the meat!) and a poke bowl. Gavin takes the chicken parmigiana, and Skylar orders the salmon with extra sauce and sweet potatoes instead of the regular ones.

"You can take some," she says to Fannar. And then, she turns towards me. "You know how much he likes sweet potatoes."

I nod even though I never once saw him order sweet potatoes when he had the chance to. To prove my point, Fannar kicks me under the table. Gotcha, Skylar.

"Actually," I say, sipping on my water like I'm some kind of mastermind who knows something the superhero doesn't know ─ not that I'm the evil one here ─ "Fannar doesn't like sweet potatoes."

Skylar smiles. "I know." It's her turn to sip on her glass of water. "We'll play a game, okay?" She rests her drink on the table slowly. "It's called twenty-one questions. Couples edition. Basically, one team asks a question to another player, but it's the date who has to answer. For example, I can ask Fannar what's his favourite colour, but it's Eve-Marie─"

"Ella-Mae," Fannar corrects her.

"─ that has to answer. Got it?"

We all nod.

"This is going to be fun!" I say with as much enthusiasm as I can gather in my voice.

*************

Hey guys! I hope you are enjoying the story so far.

If you have any comments, please don't hesitate to write them in the comment section, it would really mean a lot. And don't forget to vote if you liked the chapter.

Have a great day :))