Bending the Rules

Den:  Please talk to me, what do we do?  How about we run away?

Aly:  I don’t know Den.  It's easy for you to say, your family is okay with this.  Let's just be ready and call them back.

Aly's tone was flat.  She stood up, went to Den, kissed her head, and went straight to the bath.

Den just stood there frozen.  For the first time ever since she and Aly had been together, she cannot read her.  She doesn’t know what she's thinking.  The blank stare and the flat tone scared her.  She felt her lips tremble.  There is this undeniable threat that she cannot just shake off.  She shook her head and ran to Aly.

Den:  Aly, please.

The bath wasn’t closed.  She could see Aly through the glass door under the shower with head bowed and arms stretched to the wall for support.

"Aly", she again repeated.  No response.  The sound of the shower was deafening.

She opened the glass door and – "Aly, please talk to me." – Den.

Aly remained in that position.  No movement.  She was just feeling the gush of the strong cold water on her body.

Den:  Aly, please hunnybun.  It was just a whisper as her voice was starting to croak.

Aly turned and looked at her.

The sight of her face broke Den.  She couldn’t see her tears but there was no denying her Aly is crying.  "Noooo", she thought.  There were no words that escaped her.  The sight of Aly destroyed her.  She has not seen her like this before.  All the confidence and happiness seemed to have evaded Aly with that sight.  She looked more broken than her.

Right at that point, her tears betrayed Den.  She just stood there with silent tears.  Not even sob escaped her.

Aly approached her and she just hugged her.  "Please give me time to think", she said.  She cupped her face and gave her the sweetest kiss.  "Den, please…."

Den gave her a nod and another kiss.  They hugged once again before Den let her go.  At that moment, Den understood and knows exactly what to do.  Time to think – I will give you that Aly, she thought.

She cannot stay in the room anymore.  She prepped herself and made sure the sala was appropriate.  She got her keys and her bag and with one last look at the mirror, she took a deep breath donned her shades.  She reached for the door and before closing it, she took one last long look inside.

She was holding her tears while she was in the elevator.  She cannot drive with her condition and so she decided to just take a cab.  She can just come back for her car next time.  As she was going out the main lobby of the building, she saw Aly's parents.  She purposely pretended to text at her cell phone hoping they wouldn’t recognize her.  She was also walking in an almost running pace.  She cannot dare face Aly's parents again.  When she was outside, she was almost out of breath.  She stopped to breathe, "You're out, relax", she commanded herself.  The next steps she took were heavy.  Something is bothering her.  "Den, just walk", again she commanded herself, but she found herself turning back.  "No, no, no!", she thought, but it was too late.  She found herself standing in front of Aly's folks.