Fifteen

A few hours later there was a knock on my door. I was expecting Paige or one of my brothers.

"What?" I asked, annoyed. They'd been bothering me nonstop all day. The door creaked open and I was surprised to see Dani poke her head inside.

"Oh my god," she said when she'd closed the door behind her and seen me. I must've looked pathetic, my leg propped up and my hair a mess.

"Dani? What are you doing here?" I asked. She sat in the chair against the wall and that's when I noticed her blotchy face and puffy eyes.

"That was so scary. I keep seeing you falling and hearing the crack when you landed." Dani's voice was shaky, like she'd been quiet.

"I'm okay. It's my own fault, I was really distracted." I told her. I expected this to make her feel better but it was the opposite when she buried her head in her hands and started sobbing.

"I should've never said those things to you. Especially before a routine. I know you never meant to hurt me Brody. It was just so hard seeing you spend all your time with him and not me. And I was worried he was going to hurt you, break your heart like he did to everyone else. I was jealous and I'm sorry," Dani told me, barely breathing. And then I was crying too.

"I'm sorry too. You're my best friend and I miss you. If I could go back I never would've started dating Zach." I told her, knowing it was only partly a lie. Then Dani stopped crying and looked into my eyes.

"Does he make you happy?" She asked, her voice even.

"Yes. He makes me happier than any guy I've ever been with," I told her without hesitating. And I knew it was true.

"Then I support you." Dani was hugging me, squeezing me tight. I hugged her back and then pulled away, wiping my tears away.

"Are we good now?" I asked her and she smiled.

"Yes," she told me.

Dani stayed with me for a few more hours before she went home for the night. She promised to see me in the morning at school before she shut the door. That night I slept easily, knowing Dani and I were okay again.